Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this bacon OK?

Options
Bought a nice big belly, trimmed it, cut it into 4 pieces and got it all cured up. Going to have a go at my first cold smoked bacon. Thus far it's only been hot smoked. Also changing it up a bit with flavours. Did 2 of the normal basic salt cure, then trying one with maple syrup, and the savoury one from Charcuterie. The basic and sweet came out nice and pink in color, but the savoury one, as you can see in the pic never got that nice look. I'm thinking it's ok, and may be due to the peppercorns and garlic because it smells fine. What do y'all think?
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    If it smells fine it more than likely is good still.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    It's fine. Different recipes.

The high sugar content of the sweet recipe retains more water in the meat.

May be the garlic nd peppercorn as you suggest, but at any rate, I have noticed savory cures are less pink too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY