Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Choices

Options
2»

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Also, to note. Carbon Del Sur, is TERRIBLE charcoal.

Leaves and other debris in the bag. Tons of dust in the bottom of the bag. A good 3 inches of powdered charcoal in there.

It's ashy as all get out. Worse than Cowboy for ash production, and doesn't seem to burn all that hot unless I get a boat load in there. Hard to load up the chimney too, as the lump size is so small, it'll fall through the grates in the bottom!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Got ahold of 2 bags of Rockwood today.

I'd have to say this.. For right at $20 a bag, it's cheaper than Wicked, which is a plus.

Opening the bag, I find GREAT sized parts of lump. Not huge, not small, but all odd sizes that really pile up nicely. I usually find the big stuff on the top, and the little at the bottom of most bags, but this seemed to be consistent all the way through.

Lights pretty easy, not super fast, but pretty darn easy.. Once lit.. it's starts up and burns. Pretty quick to getting the coals hot and the cook going.

Likewise, it's got a pretty good neutral smoke to it. Not overpowering, and doesn't crackle and smoke like crazy. I enjoy the flavor and smoke from Wicked, but this is pretty close. It also goes out pretty quick, and I still had quite a bit of lump left in the firebox, and minimal ash.

I think I may have found my lump finally.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax