Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Steel for Mini

Options
Back during the group buy (or whenever), did anyone obtain a Baking Steel for the Mini?  I am thinking about using it for searing/cooking steaks on the Mini to get an even crust. If so, what size did you get? I would be putting it on a Mini Woo and grate.

Cannot use cast iron as I have explained in other threads.

Springram
Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have used my SS Little Griddle EuroQ on my XL to sear steaks. I already had it hot from some fried rice. Steaks were warmed indirect on the small. Got a nice sear on the steaks, cleanup took some scrubbing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

Michael recently posted a discussion on finding a cheap, local source of steel.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1164958/pizza-steel-14#latest

May be worth looking in to.  

You could have it cut.  Or to make it cheaper, cut it yourself.  

You want A36 steel when/if you call around for pricing. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited April 2014
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Springram - I may have mentioned this in your previous thread about not being able to use cast iron, but check with SSS about getting a steel disc cut. Ask for A36 steel, maybe 3/8" thick. They should charge you for just the the steel, not the whole sheet. If you have any trouble, let me know and i can check with the the SSS close to me. There is one on the north side of town, closer to you.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.