Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt & Flat Brisket

First time smoking pork and brisket. I have a 6lb pork butt and two 4lbs flat briskets all will fit on the same level. Will all cook at the same length of time or should I start one ahead of the other?

Comments

• My experience the pork butts will cook about 2 hours per pound at 225 and the brisket will be 1.5 per pound. I would start the butts first and then if they are done early you can always wrap in HDAF, towels and place in a warm cooler for several hours until the Brisket Flats are done.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe and Black Stone

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,722
    First up-werlcome aboard and enjoy the journey!
    Each hunk of meat will behave as it wants-I would go butt first out of the gate and give it around an hour head start -then the briskets. A real driver in this puzzle is the dome temperature that you plan to run.  Absent that then all you see here and above is guesswork.  
    BTW-FTC (foil, towels (for the cooler dead air space) and cooler) is your friend.  Plan to finish early and you can easily get 3-4 hours or more hold time with FTC to make it to the eat-time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Welcome! Do you have temp probes? If you do then I would start them at the same time and just monitor internal temp. If one reaches doneness before the others just foil, towel, cooler until they are all ready. Best of luck!
    Southern California
  • Thanks for the help.
  • Started a 7lb pork butt and two 4lbs briskets at 9am with indirect cooking at 260degrees with a drip pan filled with 4 parts water/1 part apple juice.

Checked after 4 hours and the internal temp on all was 160-165.

Checked again at 6.5 hours internal temp on the pork butt was 175 and the briskets 165.

Planning on pulling the off after 8 hours.

image start of cook

image 6.5 hour mark
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,722
    I would offer that the finish-line with the pork can be best assessed when the bone pulls clean and that will likely be in the low 200's*F.  Brisket is not so easy-when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance either way then you are there-anywhere from 190-205*F or more.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.