Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Size

Options
I have a large egg with AR & oval grates, what size of brisket can I expect to fit in the egg? 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    As big as you want really. You can use a rib rack to lay it over until it shrinks. I have LBGE and no problems with 20+# packer fitting.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Good to know, I had troubles stuffing a large packer in a 18.5 WSM.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Do you have a rib rack?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    If you don't have a rack, then you can use a foil wrapped brick to increase the surface area til shrinkage take over.  Just make sure that whatever hangs over your heat deflector is protected underneath by foil so it doesn't take the direct heat.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    +1 on what @lousubcap‌ said re: brick wrapped in HDAF if ya don't have a rib rack already. That's why I asked if you had one. But, lousubcap beat me to it ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Miked125‌ that's not a problem because as you can see there is more than one way to skin a cat. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Like @NPHuskerFL and @lousubcap said if it is too long you may just need some kind of "speed bump" to put in the middle to drape it over.  

I'm not sure how much coverage the oval stone gives you, but you may want to also consider a big foil drip pan to ensure nothing is hanging over. 

You can see in this pic I have edge to edge coverage.  I sort of shaped the pan to ensure I had plenty of airflow on the sides.  Not this is just a 12 lb packer pre-trimmed so no speed bump necessary.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Also, remember to put some spacers between your drip pan and the platesetter so that the drippings do not burn. I usually use 3 or 4 copper plumbing tees or els.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.