Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

jlsm - Awesome Porcetta - Buon Apetito!!

Options
BigWader
BigWader Posts: 673

Saw @jlsm post his recipe for porcetta in another thread here:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1164590/porchetta-recipe#latest

When I looked at it I bookmarked it knowing I was going to make it soon.  All I can say is YUM!

I made the paste as outlined but skipped the fennel seeds and added a little salt all over the surface of the butt.  I used skinless boneless, trimmed shoulder pieces from my local butcher and the combined weight was probably six pounds.  After an hour in the fridge onto the egg they went in my BGE dutch oven.

I let it go about 45 minutes before the flip since the egg was running 450 and let the second side go the full hour before adding the liquid, celery and onion and sealing it up.  It cooked probably another 2 1/2 hours and when I checked it I got nice pull apart so I snagged a taste and took it off the heat.  Threw on a couple red peppers to roast for the top and wrapped the porcetta in foil while I separated the juice.  I probably didn't need to try this step since it was really well trimmed from the beginning.  Served on a simple roll with nice provolone and a slice of fresh roasted red pepper alongside for the ride is some green beans steamed and finished with a little butter.

Here is the final plated pic:

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE