Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What the hell is up with the OT posts?

Options
I don't mind from time to time but things seem to be getting out of hand lately. I thought I was on a cooking forum. Soapbox dismounted.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The problem is people posting OT threads that are not in the OT forum.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    There's no moderators here.  It's free for all.
    Post wherever you like. This "EggHead Forum" seems to get the most traffic.
    Fire away!
    :-@ :-B
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    yeah I am torn. There is a OT forum, and that is where that stuff should be posted. Putting 'OT' in thread title does not make it off topic, per se. But on  here most people only look at the main forum, when in reality it is best to look at 'recent discussions' instead of the main forum. that way see everything. But when you do that then it does not matter where post thread becuase it all shows up there anyway.
    I hurt my head with my own circular logic...
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Point is, put them in the right category so people CAN filter them....because it's hard to defend OT posts by saying, don't look in the OT forum if you just want to only see BGE related posts. 
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. 

If a thread is clearly labelled/tiled as OT, then one should not feel obligated to read it just because it is there, despite being of no interest to them. If one's sensibilities are so fragile that they are offended by the mere presence of OT threads, then I imagine those folks are currently engaged in epic battles with the companies that send out all the junk mail to our mailboxes.

And watch out for OT thread #11 from @berndcrisp... it should be dropping any moment.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @Caliking - I don't disagree with the concept of "don't open it if you're not interested in it", but the forum selection drop down when creating a new post, which defaults to the "Egghead Forum" is a piece of metadata that can be used to filter the posts and there is, among the various categories, an "Other Topics" forum.  It only takes a second to select the appropriate forum and the whiners that can't help but look at those can be told to peruse by forum and not by "Recent Discussions" or "All Forums".

If there were any type of moderation on the forum, a moderator could block whiners from the OT forum...but that's just wishful thinking.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Just pick OT for your category like nola is saying. This is a cooking forum, but also a cooking community with some people who have similar interest. I prolly post way more OT than I do cooking threads. They are correctly labeled though, and there are plenty of people on here who's input I respect. You can click to view only egghead forum or only off topic or only recipes and so on. Obviously the last 5 OT post are in the wrong category, like this thread.

XLBGE 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    B'ys it is just a forum... if ya don't wanna read an OT post don't click it.Really there are more impt things to be concerned about.Is it that hard to skip a OT post?

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    The point of ANY forum is to create a gathering place for people who have a common interest.  While we all have egging in common the diversity of members is immense.  I actually love the OT posts because it allows us to see members other interests/hobbies/likes/dislikes.  How else can one generate a high "Troll" count if all we talk about is how to light an egg and why can't I get the temp above 350?  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    I mostly view from the mobile site, and it shows everything anyway no matter what section its in.  I'd say just post to main but label.  /my two cents
    Pentwater, MI
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    B'ys it is just a forum... if ya don't wanna read an OT post don't click it.Really there are more impt things to be concerned about.Is it that hard to skip a OT post?

Jamie.
    Boom
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited April 2014
    Options

Jamie.
    Newfies,booze and rules don't mix..... don't ya know that yet b'y!!!! image
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    My point was that I don't see much about cooking lately. I've learned so much from the forum. I think that if new eggers come on and see tons of posts about sneakers and other crap, they may look elsewhere for their information. Some OT topics, IMO are not even OT. Like I said, I'm not whining. I just logged on last night and saw about 8 OT threads right away. I view from the mobile site as well. It shows everything.
    Mark Annville, PA