Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood table top ???

Options
Been thinking on my BGE table and am torn between red cedar, tile or a combo for the top. This will be a non-movable/ outdoor kitchen look 9 foot counter with BGE in middle. Problem is weather, don't want to cover it and worried the wood will warp/split over time. How have your wood tops held up? How did you finish them? Have worked with epoxy and wondering if I encapsulate the whole top and bottom of wood counter top then varnish how much expansion I would get? Not done much work with tile, do they made a router bit for tile so I could cut out for BGE?  Thanks

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    For tile you can use an angle grinder. Have you considered PVC decking for a top? No fading, warping, or splitting. Others can chime in about finish. Many use spar varnish. I made a table for my buddy. His table is finished with Sikkems door and window stain. I chose that because it is much easier to refinish than spar varnish. The tops for my table and his are made out of concrete.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    Options
    The ones I make are made out of cedar, and o haven't had any problems with them. Just make sure you pre drill for the screws that hold the top down to help keep it from splitting, and seal the end grain of the wood with wax after you stain it. Also go to your local granite store and see if they have any cut out chunks left from when they cut out sinks. We usually get nice sized squares for very reasonable prices, and.it's only a few bucks to get it cut down to a specific size
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a monolithic wood top.  It's encapsulated in epoxy and has 3 or 4 coats of spar on it.  It will expand/contract with temp, not so much with humidity since it's completely sealed.  You'll need to accommodate for that expansion/contraction with table top fasteners (that let it move) so it doesn't self-destruct.