Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almond Croissant French Toast on the Mini

EggObsessed
EggObsessed Posts: 786
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum

Today is going to be a day of Egging. The weather is beautiful! Later today we're going to be doing some practice cooks for upcoming fests, but we thought we'd start the day with a BGE breakfast. We really enjoyed the french toast! The little clementine sections really complemented the sweetness of the french toast. The bacon was a new brand we found at Costco called Debecca. It was excellent!

I came up with the Almond Croissant French Toast recipe by combining parts of recipes from The Pioneer Woman and Bobby Flay. The toast part is PW's. The almond syrup is BF's.

I'll post the recipe next.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Today is going to be a day of Egging. The weather is beautiful! Later today we're going to be doing some practice cooks for upcoming fests, but we thought we'd start the day with a BGE breakfast. We really enjoyed the french toast! The little clementine sections really complemented the sweetness of the french toast. The bacon was a new brand we found at Costco called Debecca. It was excellent! 

I came up with the Almond Croissant French Toast recipe by combining parts of recipes from The Pioneer Woman and Bobby Flay. The toast part is PW's. The almond syrup is BF's.
Here's the recipe as I've I made it: 

Almond Croissant French Toast 
(I adapted this by combining recipes from The Pioneer Woman and Bobby Flay.) 

8 whole Croissants (a Rounder Shape Is Best) 
5 whole Eggs 
1/4 cup Half-and-half 
2 Tablespoons Sugar 
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon 
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract 
¼ teaspoon almond extract 
Butter, For Frying And Serving 
Almond Butter Syrup, For Serving 

Prepare BGE to 275-300 degrees, direct. 

Split the croissants in half through the middle. 

In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, sugar, cinnamon, almond extract and vanilla. Dunk each croissant half into the mixture so that it's fully coated. Set pieces aside on a plate. 

Heat a cast iron griddle over direct low heat, then melt a small amount of butter. Add as many pieces as will fit, cut side down, then increase the heat very slightly (don't go above medium-low). 

Allow the toast to cook on the first side for 3 to 4 minutes. Move it around in the skillet a bit to make sure it doesn't burn. When it's deep golden brown on the surface, flip it to the other side and let it cook for another 2 minutes or so. Remove from the pan and cook the rest of the croissant halves. 

ALMOND BUTTER SYRUP: 
4 tablespoons unsalted butter 
1/4 cup sliced almonds 
1/3 cup pure maple syrup 
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract 

For the syrup: In a small sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter until it begins to shimmer. Add the almonds and sauté until lightly golden brown. Add the syrup and almond extract and cook until heated through. Keep warm.

Kelley 
Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.

Comments