Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked whole turkey timing

Options
I am new to the egg and am trying to find the best way to grill a spatchcocked turkey.  What temp and how long.  My bird is between 13 and 14 lbs.  Looking to the Egg Community for help. 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle.

I've never done a spacthcock turkey but have done some 8 lb. capons. I do them around 350* raised direct and they take about 1hr.45min. I would guess a 13-14lb. turkey would take 2 1/2 at that temp.

Others who have actually done a spatchcock turkey can provide a better answer.

However, you need a reliable thermometer so that you can cook to temp and not time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Thanks.  I did a pork shoulder this past weekend and it took almost 12 hours.  (very much worth every minute)  I just want to plan my meal timing. :)

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I usually cook at 350-400 indirect till 165 degrees in the breast.  The last two I did were each 14 lb birds and where done in 2 hours.  Good luck and have fun!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    400 raised direct with a 12lb bird will be approximately a 2 - 2:15hr cook but always cook to temp of 160 in breast and 170+ in the thighs.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    I've done many - 400* raised direct takes me ~90 minutes.  The temp WILL CONTINUE TO RISE after taking the bird off, so plan ahead for juicy turkey!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2014
    Options
    400 raised direct about 75 mins. Coffee rub. One handful mix of cherry & pecan chips. Cook them all the time. No need to inject. Will be plenty juicy. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    Lesson #1 in EGGing: Cook by temp and not by time. 

I would run 350, indirect with the plate setter legs up. Should talk approx 13-15 per pound. I would suggest that you inject a turkey. 
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I did a 14lb bird at 350°F and it took 2 1/2hours to hit 160°F. The big thing is to cook by temp. If I had figured on the usual 20 minutes per pound it would have been one sadly underdone bird. Good luck and let us know how it goes. http://www.food-fire.com/index.php/2009/11/15/spatchcocked-turkey/ image
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.