Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buy Kamado Joe Jr. or hold out for Mini-Max or...

Options
2»

Comments

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Sandy, given that you are beginning from a position of having no ceramic cooker I suggest that you consider avoiding the assumption you need two particularly since you will soon have an XLBGE.  If you need instant charcoal burning capabilities (perfectly understandable) consider a Weber Jumbo Joe instead of another form of ceramic.  It has the same cooking grid space as an LBGE, sits on a table top, weighs nothing, costs next to nothing (59 bucks), they’re readily available, & most importantly the Joe can perform the great majority of what most people cook on ceramic grills.  Once the XL arrives it’ll cover the territory the Jumbo Joe can’t but the Joe will remain a very valued & well used outdoor wood burning asset.  Trust me, I’m a doctor
    Thanks for the insight, I really do appreciate it. I'm not looking to get a traditional charcoal grill, however. I've had those, know what they can do. I really am looking at getting a smaller ceramic. I know i will have plenty of real estate once my XLBGE is picked up, but I'm impatient and trying to justify it by buying a smaller one for weeknights. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Hmm, Rzeancack, the bge warranty is indeed excellent but I see u live in Canada. Have u ever needed any warranty service? So a search on here and you'll see that warranty service in Canada is horrible =\
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    I couldn't hold off for the mini-max...we have several trips planned and wanted a portable cooker. The mini is too small for the 4 of us plus guests.

Picked up a Joe Jr.

I reference thegardengates .com 10% off offer and BBQ guys Matched the price. $404.10 to my door.

They have 6 more reds and a bunch more black in stock...the garden gates was shipping "early April"

Thanks for the review, the info, the tip on the matching price. They have one less red in stock now. :D
    Sandy
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    henapple said:

No big deal. Was just running through their site. I'm not sure how a dealer would handle the expense.

@henapple‌ this is why I thought free shipping on warranty parts... It was in website. I guess they contradict the other page saying they don't cover it
    Beaufort, SC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Was just wondering. If i try to buy another egg my wife said I'll have a mini... :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Does anyone know the diameter of the charcoal grate on the KJ Jr? I've heard that many Small BGE owners have complained about lack of airflow (and a general inability to get up to higher temps), due in part to a small charcoal grate. The mini-max appears to have addressed that concern with a larger charcoal grate, which will presumably provide better airflow. 

I'm seriously considering the KJ Jr (don't want to hold out for the Canadian release of the mini-max) and was wondering if anyone has experienced troubles getting up to higher temps? For the record, I don't foresee myself having to get up to nuclear temps on the KJ, but would like to go in to the purchase informed. Thanks in advance!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    I took my KJ jr. up to 700 tonight before I back off, just to see what it could do as I'm still playing with it. That's the second time I've gone over 600 with absolutely NO problem. It could easily have gone up more, but as I was aiming for 350 I thought I should back it down. Don't want to measure the grate right now, as there's food a'cookin', but I'd imagine it's about 13". I'll measure tomorrow if you need exact measurements.
    Sandy
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I took my KJ jr. up to 700 tonight before I back off, just to see what it could do as I'm still playing with it. That's the second time I've gone over 600 with absolutely NO problem. It could easily have gone up more, but as I was aiming for 350 I thought I should back it down. Don't want to measure the grate right now, as there's food a'cookin', but I'd imagine it's about 13". I'll measure tomorrow if you need exact measurements.
    Thanks PNWFoodie, much appreciated and makes me feel better - I think I'm sold  on the Jr. Re: the grate measurement, I'm actually referring to the cast iron grate that the coals sit on, not the food grate (the latter of which is 13.5"). But regardless, if there are no issues getting up to temp, airflow obviously is not a problem. So we're good - no need to measure. Thanks again! 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)