Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MOVING A LARGE EGG

Options
Hey all,

Moving to a new home next week, and just wondering if you have any tips on moving?

Its a large egg, and its in a BGE table. Just wondering if I should take it apart for shipping and bubble wrap it, or have it moved in the table as one piece to avoid chances of breakage.

I am getting movers to move it, but wondering in advance.

Thanks in advance
Tiocfaidh!
Support 26+6=1 United Ireland

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I would move it myself if at all possible. Take it apart and move it in your car. Let the movers move the table. Movers tear stuff up and bang things around. That's just the way it is.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Id move it myself. Moving is only insured for 60 cents a pound
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• birdieba
    birdieba Posts: 4
    Options
    I've moved mine many times over the past 25 years. I leave it in the table. Never had any problems.
    Miami Beach, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Haul mine from Texas to Fl lots and no problem. Slide some cardboard between the ceramics. We move 30 to 40 each year at Salado around town ready to cook just fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• wolfetone
    wolfetone Posts: 87
    Options
    So leave the egg in the table and ship like that? Including the inside ceramics?

There's two moving guys....reckon that's enough to move it or more needed?
    Tiocfaidh!
    Support 26+6=1 United Ireland
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    If I was moving it solo, I'd take it apart and haul it my self in the car.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I moved this summer, and moved it myself (lbge). I took out the insides, and was careful. It's heavy but manageable. More awkward than anything. I wouldn't let my movers near it :)

I wrapped it in moving blankets... moved it separate from the nest. I recommend removing it from the table, it could bang a side and crack.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.