Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It looks like a bomb went off in my LBGE

I finally got around to talking with my dealer about warranty coverage... here are a couple of the pics I sent. There are Y-shaped cracks at the left, right, and rear, and one under the vent, all joining on the underside. Now that I look at it, I think the only thing holding it together is the Nest! The firebox is pretty trashed, too. 

I swear, I didn't take it to a demolition derby.

(link to all pics: http://imgur.com/a/YZK2F)

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    %-(

That's crazy.  Did you do a high temp cook or anything to make this happen?  Pics like this scare me because my egg sits on the deck.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wow!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Unfortunately, I don't know when it happened. I noticed the first exterior crack about a year ago, and the first firebox crack maybe a year before that. But since it wasn't terminal damage, I put off dealing with it. Today when I took pictures for the dealer I noticed 3 more cracks, and the way they all join underneath. It's bananas, all right!

I have done high-temp runs before, for sure, but hasn't everyone? 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    And I thought mine was bad - wow.
    biznork Posts: 112
    Mine did that last week. Kind of annoying because my dealer told me it would be weeks before I got my replacement.
  • I just picked up my warranty replacement fire box (the bottom one?) yesterday.  There's a chicken cooking in it right now.  Almost done.  The replacement process was nearly painless except that my dealer is 50 miles away.  It took about a week and a half to get the replacement.  I used it while it was cracked of course. Gave me an excuse to stop at Costco.  
  • horseflesh
    My dealer says that new parts should arrive on Tuesday. 

I still don't know exactly what I am getting... do they replace just the ceramics, or am I going to get new hinges, bands, and bolts? Trying to re-build an Egg with used parts could be a pain in the rear.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mine has looked like that for at least a year. One of these days, I need to use the warranty. :)

Horseflesh, you should be getting just the broken parts, no bands, bolts etc. The only metal parts that should probably be replaced are the band bolts. Your dealer should have them, but if not, get Grade 5 carriage bolts from a hardware store. Have fun! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• On the bright side, good to see that the nest held it all together even with that much structural failure.
    Gittin' there...
  • horseflesh
    I got my replacement parts this weekend, one lower half and one firebox. I haven't even unboxed them yet as I will wait until I put the grill in a cart to re-build it. The dealer said I should have no trouble re-using the bent bolts too.

The warranty process was totally painless, my dealer is super easy to work with. (Sutter Home and Hearth in Seattle.)

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    The name "potato bombs" is just a figure of speech
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    U can call mothership and they will send you all new bolts. Had a problem with some and called them. They send them..

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I used my old bolts with no issues when I replaced my base. Yours will probably break apart when you loosen the bands
    Mark Annville, PA
  • horseflesh
    I used my old bolts with no issues when I replaced my base. Yours will probably break apart when you loosen the bands
    The cracks in my base don't run all the way up to the band... but I am pretty sure it will fall apart when I remove it from the Nest. If it holds together, I will try to repair it with JB Weld and make it into an herb planter.