Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket time

Options
13»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I already ass..umed that
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Maybe a prophylactic application of Boudreaux's Butt Paste would be wise.  I'll antagonize as many forum members as possible so we can give it a good go.

edited March 2014
    Options
    I bought the Rutland gasket material at a local ACE hardware store and used Silicon RTV (the second time) to glue the gasket the base on my large and mini BGE. The gasket is tubing so it's a bit thicker and seals well. After a year its dirty but still works just fine. 2 rolls did both BGE's and enough left over to do my large a second after I leaned not use the adhesive that comes with the gasket. Used the 3-M paint removal pad in one my cordless drills and some acetone to clean up and degrease the BGE. Covered the fresh gasket and silicon with plastic and closed the lids to let the adhesive set-up overnight. I replaced a Nomex gasket and the original wool felt seal with the Rutland stuff.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    egger ave said:
    The gasket is tubing so it's a bit thicker and seals well.

To each his own, but I prefer the flat braided Rutland gasket over the rope style. Reason is that rope is like a tube so when flattened on one side after being embedded in the adhesive then the other side moves and is likely to wear as it is constantly flattened and rubbed against the embedded side.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    RRP said:
    egger ave said:
    The gasket is tubing so it's a bit thicker and seals well.

To each his own, but I prefer the flat braided Rutland gasket over the rope style. Reason is that rope is like a tube so when flattened on one side after being embedded in the adhesive then the other side moves and is likely to wear as it is constantly flattened and rubbed against the embedded side.

I agree......also because you do not need a big thick gasket.  You're not mating two dissimilar metals that may not be true to each other due to expansion and contraction (like a wood stove door.) 

The Egg's bottom and lid are fairly true and do just fine without a gasket--so even a 1/16-1/8" flat gasket it all you need.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @stlcharcoal‌ ...Top or bottom?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @henapple-go with whatever yields the best results for the participants :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Personally I prefer the bottom
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Henapple, I've personally sold over 1,000 Rutland gaskets to folks and I always recommend installing on the bottom. For reasons already stated such as ease etc I always conclude with the rationale that if the gasket ever did start to deteriorate then being on the base you are more likely to see a problem developing more so than if the gasket had been applied to the dome.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Am I missing something on that site? It's very hard to read and follow!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    henapple said:
    @stlcharcoal‌ ...Top or bottom?

Bottom......then the glue just needs to hold it in position rather than overcome gravity.  Also, any ceramic it sheds doesn't fall on your food.  The argument to do the opposite is moot with a ceramic gasket (installing on top in case you drip grease, bbq sauce, etc.)  It doesn't absorb anything, so just clean it up and keep going.

If you want to put it on the top, or both, go for it.  No rules here.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I am just waiting for better weather to replace mine with a Rutland.  Purchased the gasket and permatex ultra copper on amazon. Naked Whiz has detailed instructions that he got from Ron on the original BGE forum: 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Got mine from @RRP and just waiting for the nicer weather this weekend to install. Pics to follow if it happens.