Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maximum Brisket Cook Temp?

I hear about all the turbo ribs and butts but what is maximum temps for brisket? Having a family cook this wkend and was planning for 2 butts but now thinking about 1 point and 1 butt. Haved cooked both successfully at separate times but kept things around 250. Never tried the turbo method for anything. I have XL so I should be able to fit a point and butt on grid at same time. Any problem with doing beef and pork at same time as long as on same grid Thanks guys!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I think your maximum cook temp depends a lot on what you use for rub. For rubs with sugar I keep temps under 350 to avoid burning. I had a salt & pepper brisket cooking at 375 with no issues.

No issues putting butt & brisket on a grid together. Just keep a little gap between them so the heat can pass between them.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Brisket would probably mostly be Salt and pepper with maybe a little Byron's butt rub. Butt will be John Henry's pecan rub which has some sugar. What you think max temp for that is??

• R2Egg2Q
    With the pecan rub, I would keep it at 350 or a little less to be on the safe side. If you end up wrapping in foil you could go a little higher if you really need to.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • corey24
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q‌. Wasn't aware you could cook brisket that hot. Look forward to hearing from some thoughts from others. Thanks!!!

• R2Egg2Q
    You're welcome. In case you're wondering how it looked, here's a pic of the last brisket I cooked mostly at 375:

photo IMG_0895_zpsbf485a77.jpg

I find brisket to be pretty flexible on the cook temp.

Good luck with your cook!

Bay Area, CA
  • corey24
    Whew....making my mouth water. Was that a whole packer brisket? Or just flat or point?

• R2Egg2Q
    A whole packer but you see mostly the point over the flat in that pic.

Bay Area, CA