Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza setup pics

Options
Hello people,

Wondering if some of you had pictures of your egg set-up when cooking a pizza? I have been reading about the variety of ways people cook pizza on the egg, sometimes I have a hard time visualizing it! 

Thanks!

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Platesetter, legs up, grid, pizza stone, pizza. image
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

A couple of old pictures, but it gives you the idea. Plate setter legs down, three green feet (use something for spacers if you don't have these, then the BGE pizza stone. That's what has always worked for me. image

Set up for the mini just in case you were wondering. Two pizza stones and the mini thingamagig from ceramic grill store.image

Or just throw it directly on the grates.image

a

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I like getting my pizza high into the dome. Large plate setter legs down, then small plate setter, 3 BGE ceremic feet, then the baking steel. image Potato pizza imageimage
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @Griffin, how does it cook the pizza with the legs up vs down? I googled the image and the majority are legs down too, so am I doing it wrong?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    An issue I have had with legs down is you will fry your gasket. Also the whole it started my table on fire thing has made me change to legs up. It pushes all the heat right at your gasket to get around the plate setter and makes it really hot right at table level. I had always done pizzas legs up and first try with legs down after I shut down the egg and ate I looked out and my table was in flames.
  • Lit
    Options
    For pizzas I do PS legs up, grate, then spider legs down, then stone on spider.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Lit said:
    An issue I have had with legs down is you will fry your gasket. Also the whole it started my table on fire thing has made me change to legs up. It pushes all the heat right at your gasket to get around the plate setter and makes it really hot right at table level. I had always done pizzas legs up and first try with legs down after I shut down the egg and ate I looked out and my table was in flames.
    Yeah that's one thing I read... Thanks for the photos, much clearier! Anyone have any with an AR?
  • Lit
    Options

Here's my pizza set up and my fried table.imageimage

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Plate setter legs down, small plate setter legs up, then stone

XLBGE 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    PS legs down, 3 green feet, pizza stone. Yes that puts the stone slightly above gasket level for easy access and since I use a Rutland gasket there is no issue!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Miked125
    Options
    Lit said:

Here's my pizza set up and my fried table.imageimage

WOW, bright side is the pizza looks good. How hot was the egg? I read that you shouldnt go past 550F, which kind of defeats the purpose.
  • Lit
    Options
    I used to do my pizzas fairly hot at 700-750 but not anymore. Most standard dough recipes I have found don't cook right that hot. I warm my stone at 500 now and as soon as the pie goes on I open the vents fully. At the end of the 10 minute cook the egg will be 600-700 easily and you won't have burnt crust or raw toppings. Others have had luck at high temps but not me. At 750 you can burn the bottom in a couple minutes.
  • RRP
    Options
    550 says who?
  • Miked125
    Options

RRP said:
    550 says who?
    A few people on here... with legs down they say they have issues with the gasket going...
  • Griffin
    Options
    Gasket? What's a gasket? I have dim recollections of having one of those years ago. Never tried legs up. Tried legs down and it worked so I didn't change anything. BTW pizza didn't fry my gasket, it was already fried. @Jeremiah if you look around here, you'll find a hundred different ways to do anything thing here. No right or wrong, just what works for you.

Rowlett, Texas

• RRP
    Options
    You can read a lot of things on here - I qualified my post by stating I use a Rutland gasket. Granted a wimpy felt gasket could be damaged with the setup I described, but this level for ingress and egress is just right for me.   
  • Griffin
    Options
    Oh yeah. For sure. This method will probably fry your gasket, but if you are already gasket-less that's no big deal. I've got a rutland in the shed. Maybe this year will be the year it goes on. Once it warms up some.

Rowlett, Texas

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like it higher in the dome... platesetter, legs down, rutland gasket (still good after 4+ years and lotsa legs down cooks), three terracotta planter feet, old style mini woo, pizza stone. Temps from 450-900°. This was in the old days. Now I do 'em in the oven at 450-725°.

imageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    RRP said:

550 says who?

Agreed Ron. If I wanted to bake a pizza at 500F-550F I'd be using my regular oven. My dough recipe has been fine all the way up to 700F and once at 800F but, prefer about 700F to 750F (those were my best results). I go ps legs up, c.i. grid, raised grid and then stone gets me above rim into the dome a little bit. This is the set up I do and have done several configurations but, thus far this has produced (for me) the best end results. As you see from all the responses there are many different ways to do it. Happy egging :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Lit said:
    For pizzas I do PS legs up, grate, then spider legs down, then stone on spider.
    I just ordered a wok and a spider (for the wok) for the Large BGE. Will the spider for the Large work as you have mentioned here? If so...that is a bonus that I did not expect. Thank you in advance Lit.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• MJLivingston
    Options
    image I like 550 for about 5 1/2 minutes works really well for me on thin crust pizza.
    Lexington TN
  • Miked125
    Options
    Good to know about the legs down. I read a couple posts of problems with legs down. Then I was sure how people spaced the stone.
  • Lit
    Options
    @chashans yes that is the spider for the large. If you look in the bottom left of the picture you can see the leg of the spider.
  • Lit
    Options

A better shot but not with pizza.

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Lit said:

A better shot but not with pizza.

I ordered the three leg wok spider from Ceramic BBQ Store. Your's looks a little bit different than the one I ordered as yours seems to have a grid included. Mine is open to accept the wok but might still work with the pizza stone that I have. Thanks Lit.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited March 2014
    Options
    At of fellas here have a better set of toys then I have...sorry...no pics...but I go ps legs up...4 brick pavers wrapped in hd aluminum foil...then the stone...moves about 3 inches above the felt line...I cook between 600-700.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    PS legs down then stone directly on top. I put the stone on when I first close the dome to come up to temp so that I don't put a cold stone in the fire. I cook my pizza between 550 and 600 and they've always been crispy with fully cooked toppings and most importantly no complaints!
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • kriegerm
    kriegerm Posts: 1
    Options
    PS legs down then stone directly on top. I put the stone on when I first close the dome to come up to temp so that I don't put a cold stone in the fire. I cook my pizza between 550 and 600 and they've always been crispy with fully cooked toppings and most importantly no complaints!
    I have used this same setup for about three years.  The heat transfers nicely from the setter to the pizza stone.  Pizza always comes out crispy and wonderful.  Simple and effective setup.  I tend to cook at around 600-650 depending on the charcoal that I have at the time.  

Reading this post makes me wonder about trying different setups however.  Maybe I'll try a setup in which there is air space between the setter and the stone.

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    FWIW plate setter, BGE Stone and 16 inch round steel. Put the pizza on when steel is about 420 or 30. I am sure others will argue, but I have had very consistent results with this.imageimage
    Maumelle, Arkansas