Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cypress Table Help Please

Options
Got lucky and purchased, at a huge discount, a cypress table with slight defect for my large egg.  Do y'all suggest I do anything to the cypress such as stain or polyurethane or anything else?  The table will be housed in my garage or, at worst, outside underneath a shelter which will protect it from rain and sunshine.

If anyone is in or near Columbia, SC, I strongly recommend Jack Oliver's Pool and Spa for your BGE needs.  

Comments

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited February 2014
    Options
    When I got my XL a couple of years back, I used Thompson's Water Seal on it before assembly, top bottom, everywhere.  It is not enough.  After 3 years of use there are grease marks a couple of small burns from popping coals during lighting and I assume some darker marks form ashes.  When I assemble my new medium table, it will be getting a darker stain and some more aggressive protectant on at least the horizontal surfaces.  May use a lighter stain on verticals for a two tone effect, but protectant also.  When the Medium is up and running, I will disassemble the XL and do the same two tone to it after sanding.  Likely spar varnish unless I can get a recommendation on something better.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa