Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Turbo Brisket

Options

Have a first time turbo cook brisket on the grill. It's really odd how it is cooking. It's not making a bark at all. Just wrapped in foil at 165 and rub comes right off.

Internal temp is now at 175, and I am assuming it will not stall at the high temp. Has anyone else gone through this at high temp brisket cooking? Is this normal?

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I have never done a turbo brisket. I think turbo is best for ribs and butts...just think the bark is too valuable on a brisket since you don't pull it.

Eager to see pics
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    I just thought of something. I once cooked a brisket in like 4 or 5 hours when my fire got out of hand. I pulled it at 200...felt okay, but the texture was horrible. Not even the microwave could break it down and make it taste better. The dog eventually got a meal he thoroughly enjoyed. Win win I guess.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Your bark is not going to firm up as well. Once it reaches probe tender you can open the foil up and expose the bark for 5-10 mins and it should firm up some. Once you've done this I do not advise checking the IT as it will drop on you. Just wrap it back up and let it rest until you're ready to slice.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • TeamKetelOne
    Options
    Still resting. It may be really good or an epic fail. Luckily I have some back up pulled pork and pulled beef of it is an epic fail.
  • TeamKetelOne
    Options
    Turn out ok. Nothing special, but not too bad. Need to try a whole brisket on this method.
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Options
    If you haven't cut anymore...turn it and cut it against the grain. I can see the grain running very easily in your pic. It will give you less stringy brisket if you cut it against the grain.
  • TeamKetelOne
    Options
    cazzy said:

If you haven't cut anymore...turn it and cut it against the grain. I can see the grain running very easily in your pic. It will give you less stringy brisket if you cut it against the grain.

I still haven't figured it out. Cutting brisket is apparently my nemesis. I tried cutting every which way, and no luck on any.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Wow, you weren't kidding about no bark. There should have been at least some bark. It looks like a portion of a flat. What did it weigh before cooking? My guess is maybe 3-4 lbs?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    Options
    Okay...your 2nd pic shows the uncut brisket. Do you see the grain running diagonally from the bottom left to the top right?

Ok, now look at your carving fork and cut it in the same direction your fork is running.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Here is a visual for what @cazzy is saying

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Here is a visual for what @cazzy is saying image
    And that would be slice in the direction of the yellow lines.

Nice markup work @Mattman3969
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thanks @Mattman3969 too lazy for that but saw that picture with the fork was a perfect visual example.

Your mark up makes it even better!
  • TeamKetelOne
    Options

Here is a visual for what @cazzy is saying

Samsonite... I was way off.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Nice work Mark! Welcome aboard @teamketelone !
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I will generally make a couple of notches on opposite sides of the brisket before I put the rub on When you get a really crispy bark it is hard to tell direction of grain post cook.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cazzy
    Options
    I've cut so many...I don't even worry about it any more. I don't seperate the point either. I pretty much cut it exactly like this now:

8:00 minute mark
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

7:00 minute mark
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGOQ_npS4pI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • cazzy
    Options
    I also only cook packers though, so it is much different than your piece of beef.
  • TeamKetelOne
    Options
    First turbo cook. I think part of my problem is that I use the small flats from Publix and not a whole brisket.

I have filets down perfectly (that's my normal cook), but smoking is new to me. I recently got the guru which is why my interest suddenly picked up.
  • cazzy
    Options

First turbo cook. I think part of my problem is that I use the small flats from Publix and not a whole brisket.

I have filets down perfectly (that's my normal cook), but smoking is new to me. I recently got the guru which is why my interest suddenly picked up.

I agree with your assessment...your mistake happened at Publix when you bought your meat. The only way to learn is keep trying and ask alot of questions. Several of us are more than willing to help ya out. Even if it's not great, it's still prolly better than what you can run to the store and buy...plus chop is always an option.

Try to find a small packer, smaller investment, better results and once you try a piece of well executed point...you'll wonder why you ever bought just a flat! I would hit up @henapple he's the rock star and brisket pro around these parts.