Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt, Homebrew, and Chicken (big day)

Options
Yesterday was a big day for me. Started a turbo Boston butt at 8am (350, indirect, lasagna pan with water under grill, cherry rub, pecan wood), then started brewing a Saison. Had to chase the temp more than I expected but hopefully I will get better. Finished the beer early around 1:30pm. Checked the port after 7 hours and found it already over 190 (next time I need to check earlier) so I did foil, towel, and cooler. Shut down egg to walk dogs and then let SWMBO trick me into cooking cut up chicken parts. Ended up using some lump reducing brackets to get the fire back going. Patted down the chicken and put some oil and putting some lemon pepper on half and just a generic salt substitute spice mix on the other half. Tossed in some cherry wood chips and cooked at 350ish for 1 hour direct with the grill raised to the felt with the Woo2. Pictures are all attached (except for the homebrew). 

Results? Amazing. But there are a few things I want to try differently. This was my 2nd pork shoulder and this one was much better. I am not sure why but it was so moist and juicy. I have a feeling the tray and water are unnecessary but I've heard foil can burn easily. Next time I want to try more than one at a time since this does use a lot of lump. The chicken was also very juicy with great flavor but I think the oil was way too much. I probably don't need it to make the spices stick. I also want to try again without the skin. 

Biggest problem now is we have way too much food and I'm eating way too much. I did put some in a freezer bag but we are too enamored with these cooks to save them for later. I think if I start filling the XL per session it will be easier to send some right to the freezer. Plus I think we are going start cooking more chicken and vegetables.

Now if I could only do better on my burgers and steak. 
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• Texansurf
    Options
    Looks great, I have found that I don't really need the oil, and only use it for a flavor component when so desired, the EEVO could complement the Lemon Pepper nicely.   What kind of Homebrew was served...
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    If I do the EEVO again I think it will be VERY sparingly. As far as the homebrew goes, I think I had a pale ale but SWMBO decided that Dale's Deviant was required (SWMBO isn't 100% sold on my homebrew attempts). 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Pork looks great.  7 hours at 350 is plenty of time for turbo.  You are right, you can cook several butts using the same amount of lump.  Your Egg looks like an XL, I have done 4 at once on mine, but could probably fit 6 with a better raised grate.  Next time you do a butt, call a few buddies and see if they want to throw one on the grill with yours!

BTW, I am also a home brewer, have pretty consistent and good results.  For recipes, I either get them from Northern brewer, or I have a few of my own which have been developed with the guidance of a very talented home brewer (my son).  Ping me if you ever need a recipe!

I am brewing an IPA tomorrow night as SWMBO has book club.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY