Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide-supreme-demi-water-oven-199-fs

Options
Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,541
    Options
    Nice find! Been debating between the Demi and Anova.  Anova is more versatile size-wise but I bet Demi will last longer since there's no heating element nor moving part in contact with water.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Canugghead - as I mentioned in another thread, I bought the Demi because it was compact enough to leave on the counter, which translates into more frequent use since i see it every day. I liked the functionality of the Anova a little more, but decided against it since i would have to store it away somewhere between uses, which would mean that i would end up not using it that frequently.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Nice find! Been debating between the Demi and Anova.  Anova is more versatile size-wise but I bet Demi will last longer since there's no heating element nor moving part in contact with water.

Gary,

I have been eyeing the anova unit for a while but with the recent depreciation in the dollar, the price gap between the anova and the demi is shrinking (based on the price at Costco), especially when you factor in the delivery charge for the anova.  That being said, the compact size of the anova still makes it quite appealing.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,541
    edited February 2014
    Options

I can see myself running two SV units down the slippery path!

Just got myself a thrift store electric hot plate; when teamed with my DIY SV controller I can use any large pots, including a huge turkey fryer, for SV'ing large quantities.

My second SV unit could then be something like the DEMI and not worry about limited capacity ... but I'm in no hurry ... we may see the $100-$150 price point, who knows! .. also not too concerned about US$ vs. CAD exchange fluctuation since I have a BGE-spending bank account in US$  
    :D
    canuckland
  • Chef Charles
    Options

I can see myself running two SV units down the slippery path!

Just got myself a thrift store electric hot plate; when teamed with my DIY SV controller I can use any large pots, including a huge turkey fryer, for SV'ing large quantities.

My second SV unit could then be something like the DEMI and not worry about limited capacity ... but I'm in no hurry ... we may see the $100-$150 price point, who knows! .. also not too concerned about US$ vs. CAD exchange fluctuation since I have a BGE-spending bank account in US$  
    :D

Gary,

I think you are right about the price point coming down.  I am just starting to get anxious to do SV and I am not quite as handy as you.  I have the option to have stuff sent to Ogdensburg NY, which is only an hour drive from me.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Canugghead - I think the prices will come down too. The home SV sector seems to be picking up, and hopefully the competition will drive prices down. If my SV endeavours really take off, i may invest in the Anova if it becomes cheaper. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.