Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

starting two pork butts 7# and 9#'s

Options
zitdoc
zitdoc Posts: 3
I am planning my first pork butt's tomorrow morning for the Super Bowl.  They are around 7 and 9 lbs a piece and they are currently resting in a rub that I made from a reciept from BGE web site.  New to the green egg and loving it.  A few questions if anyone reads this.
1)  Should I inject the butts or let the awesome flavor stand alone.
2)  I am planning on cooking them at 250-275 starting around 3-4am.  I need to pull them off the grill for around 5pm and would like to FTC them for at least an hour.  Am I starting too late for this much meat.  I have read that since they are separate butts, the time should average around 1.5-2 hours/pound.  Am I doomed to feed my guest poorly cooked and possibly tainted raw pork or is this alright.  I would like to reach approx 195-205 degrees before I FTC.
3)  I planned on using apple and hickory wood chips.  Do I need to add any apple juice to the drip pan.  I see some people adding fluids of various types but most of the posts state that this just slows down the cook times and does nothing.  I also have seen people adding salt to the pan but I have no idea why.
Appreciate any help and support.  Go Broncos.

Comments

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    I am doing the same thing right now with the same weight butts. I do not inject and I do not use a drip pan. I put my butts in at 8 at about 250 and they should be done tomorrow am. Once they are done I will FTC until guests get here. I would rather have them done early and held than have guests have to wait for it to be done. Just get the egg up to temp, wait for the smoke to go clear and pop the butts on. It will come out great!
  • zitdoc
    Options
    I have an absolute man crush on the BGE.  Never done butts before.  Not sure I will inject either.  Have not been impressed with the comments from other posts.  I will try to figure out how to post picks throughout the process if possible.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    Keep us updated. I have done a lot of butts on the butt and they are one of the most forgiving cooks that can be done.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    With two butts, you could inject one and not the other and see if there is a difference when consumed.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • zitdoc
    Options
    I thought about injecting one but didn't get to grocery store to get the supplies.  Butts are on the grill.  Having a bit of a struggle keeping the temps regular and it seems to vary between 237-260 with just the slightest change in vents.  I suppose its in my window.
  • Nerf_Dogg
    Options
    Update us with your final cook time & temp please.  Do you have a L or XL BGE?  If L, do you have the butts cooking on their side?  I have a 9 lb'er on right now that take up the majority of the grate.  Doing 2 that size would be ideal.  Thanks in advance ... Chris