Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PRIME RIBEYE

McStew
McStew Posts: 965
Well I'm cooking for my birthday and I picked up some prime ribeye from Costco and I just want to confirm if I have a good technique for these.
250 with oak until they hit about 125 ..... 700 quick hit about a min per size pull at 132 ...... rest for five minuets and serve.   
I have cooked many meals brisket pork butt ham turkey burger dogs you name it on the egg however I don't do stakes that often yet alone prime so I just want to make sure I'm on track with this.. 
Thanks 
Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    depends - how thick are they?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • McStew
    they are about 2.5 inches
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • RRP
    edited January 2014
    In that case I would "hot tub" instead for a perfect medium rare steak if that is what you want to achieve.
  • McStew
    Thanks RRP that was my original thoughts too .... I was going to do them at 123 degrees for approx 90 min then hit them at 700 to get a crust on them ...   I too think this is my safest way  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • RRP

Not sure you followed me, but I prefer to use a type of Sous Vide more commonly called Hot Tubbing on this board. At least 1 hour before you plan to egg the meat submerge the meat still sealed in the plastic bag into a container of hot water from the tap. The desired temp of the water should be checked from time to time during the hour and should be over 100 degrees. I find my tap water runs about 125 degrees. I also find that I have to change the water at least 3 to 4 times in that hour. OTOH if you use a small cooler with a tight lid I find I can go over an hour with no need to refill.

In the meantime fire up your BGE and stabilize at 650 to 700 degrees dome. Unwrap the meat and quickly place on the grill for a mere 2 minutes per side or even less and the cooking is done! You are better off using a Thermapen rather than time, but I mention the time for ready reference. This method will give you a nice rare steak and will assure the meat is warm inside, not dark purple and cold common to steaks cooked rare.
  • RRP
    Here's a prime rib for instance that I hot tubbed and then after egging it I cut it in half. Note the uniform color instead of that cool dark bluish center common to cooking thick steaks medium rare.
  • McStew
    Yah I have a SV machine. My plan was to have them in the water bath @ 123 for approx 90 min 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @RRP interesting info, I have never done this, If I wanted medium rare, just a minute or two more on the egg?? TIA
    Large, small, and a mini
  • RRP
    @RRP interesting info, I have never done this, If I wanted medium rare, just a minute or two more on the egg?? TIA
    Yes - BTW once you try this method you'll be hooked!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Just using hot tap water?  I may have to try this if it ever gets warm enough to use the Egg again.

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    McStew said:
    Yah I have a SV machine. My plan was to have them in the water bath @ 123 for approx 90 min 
    I did that very thing last night with some prime strips. They were the bomb. If you want med-rare go to 131*.  I put a big cast iron in a nuclear egg for the sear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• McStew
    Thanks @LS I was planning on going a bit lower to get a nuclear sear on it, 123 you think is to low before searing? 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • RRP
    robnybbq said:
    Just using hot tap water?  I may have to try this if it ever gets warm enough to use the Egg again.
    Yes - hot tap water does the trick for me plus using a small cooler with the lid on tight. Some people fill and refill their kitchen sink, but that's a real waste of water
  • Little Steven
    McStew said:
    Thanks @LS I was planning on going a bit lower to get a nuclear sear on it, 123 you think is to low before searing? 
    If you want medium rare. You won't gain much temp in the sear unless you leave it on too long which defeats the purpose of the hot tub or sous-vide. I did mine @123* but I wanted to finish rare.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• McStew
    Well thanks everyone on the suggestions everything turned out great. 90 min in the water, egg set wide open with a CI  pan sear 1 min each side. 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It looks outstanding!  Just curious- did you happen to check your final IT?  I like the big cup o' fries as a side item :P.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Looks great! 

Steak and frites, good call!
  • Little Steven
    Looks perfect!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• McStew
    @SmokeyPitt no I didn't check the temp at all because I calibrate the temp on the controller after every cook so its ready to go.  It was perfect so no complains from the miss.

Hermosa Beach CA