Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood

Options

I used "Rockwood" for the title because I knew it would draw attention. :))  Religion always does :x

This is about the second bag out of five that I ordered online.

I am posting because this bag looks a lot better then the first one I used. I was not happy with the shipping and posted my displeasure in other threads so I wanted to show that all was not bad.

This looks more normal, I just hope the 3 others are as good.

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I recently did a big purchase of both RW and OO.  I have only gone through one bag of the RW and two bags of OO, but so far the OO had bigger/better chunks.  Plus it seems to ash less. But each to their own.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Rockwood does seem to have more smaller pieces, but it doesn't seem to affect how it burns. If you had it shipped to you, the bags likely had more small pieces than usual because of the extra handling. A group buy is the way to go, IMO.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks normal?! Smallest pieces I've ever seen. Except the last batch of RO I got from walmart. It was even worse.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'd blame shipping.  Bag I got off the pallet at local hardware store was full of big chunks.  Great stuff IMHO.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    +1 on shipping. The bags I buy at the ACE hardware have many more big pieces than that.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I still like the size of Wicked Good best. I mix that with RO to fill the voids and it works really well.

Where I live RO and cowboy are about all you get without paying an arm and a leg. I tried a Rockwood pallet buy but couldn't get enough interest. A Wicked Good pallet buy is in the works now with some local people.

I had a picture of the Pockwood shipment but my phone decided to delete every picture on it with out my knowledge.

• EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    What kind of discount can you get with a pallet buy?

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• drummerben
    Options
    Picked up a bag of Rockwood at my local Ace for $19.99, $5 cheaper than the BGE. It was the last bag so not sure if they plan to keep stocking it, or of it was just a trial run. Looking forward to trying it though since I've never used anything but BGE.

LBGE Atlanta, GA  Ramblin' Wreck

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Picked up a bag of Rockwood at my local Ace for $19.99, $5 cheaper than the BGE. It was the last bag so not sure if they plan to keep stocking it, or of it was just a trial run. Looking forward to trying it though since I've never used anything but BGE.
    I got the 2nd to last bag at Morgans Ace Hardware on Wednesday, so is that where you got the last bag?
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

I've been using Frontier and Kroger brand lump since I went through the BGE that I bought when I bought my XLBGE between Christmas and New Years. I have had 4 successful cooks (as far as the lump quality is concerned....and that is not mentioning my errors!!).

I have not done a low/slow yet, is this where I will see a big difference in lump quality ????

I am still new, so forgive my ignorance if I am off base using the less expensive lumps without noticing a difference.

Your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated,

Donnie.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That looks like what the top end of the bag I got was like. The bottom end was much smaller even. To me I will stick with royal oak for 50 cents a pound since it has bigger pieces than that when you get the large bags. If you like large pieces and have amazon prime try fogo lump off amazon its really dense like wicked good and there were pieces that wouldn't fit in my mini and its not because they were long tree branches they were huge chunks.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    dldawes1 

IMHO you will notice differences in charcoal quality on long low and slows.  Here is a good website to reference different types of charcoal.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    There is a ton of good info throughout the website.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• drummerben
    Options
    I got the 2nd to last bag at Morgans Ace Hardware on Wednesday, so is that where you got the last bag?
    Doofus, I was at a different Ace Hardware: Bates. Sounds like several Atlanta metro area Ace stores selling at about the same pace - running low or all sold out. I wonder if they plan to keep stocking it?

LBGE Atlanta, GA  Ramblin' Wreck

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I have nine bags left of Rockwood in my garage. Absolutely wonderful charcoal The best I have used.

The point about "VOC's" is true for sure. Rockwood has far less than other brands which means I am up and cooking a lot faster.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Springram said:
    I have nine bags left of Rockwood in my garage. Absolutely wonderful charcoal The best I have used.

The point about "VOC's" is true for sure. Rockwood has far less than other brands which means I am up and cooking a lot faster.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    I have a little stock pile of charcoal for the winter here. My wife thinks I might be hoarding a little bit. I have some Royal Oak, Rockwood, BGE brand, and a bag of Wicked Good. 

This is not a sales pitch for why you need to go out and buy some Rockwood but rather just some ramblings from an Egghead...

Last night, I started both my LBGEs at about the same time. I was making a spatchcock chicken on one and seasoning my new cast iron set on the other. I didn't do this intentionally and this wasn't a scientific test but there definitely were some differences that I noticed. I just happened to go back to Royal Oak(red bag from Home Depot) because I had emptied the last of a Rockwood bag in the first egg. The next bag I grabbed happened to be Royal Oak since it was the easiest one to get to through my messy garage. I have been using Rockwood for past couple of months. The Royal Oak did take quite a bit longer to burn off the "bad smoke" than the egg with the Rockwood. The other thing I noticed was that the Royal Oak had some pretty large pieces and it also had a much stronger and very pungent smell to the smoke for quite a while. It also took about an extra 20 minutes to get up to cooking temp (400 deg) compared to my other egg that I had started at the same time with Rockwood. Again, none of this was done with the intention of a head to head comparison but just what I noticed when I came back out to check temp on both eggs. 

As far as size of the pieces, I have had some Rockwood with pretty small pieces too. I just mixed them in with the next bag that had larger pieces and it all worked out fine. I will definitely buy more Rockwood when I get my stash dwindled down in the next couple of months - the stuff is worth a few more bucks a bag to me than the Home Depot Royal Oak as I prefer the taste of the food from the Rockwood cooks too. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

I got one bag from firecraft.com to test it out and yes, pieces were smaller, but I'll second the point about VOC's. I've mainly used RO since that is all that I can find within 50 miles of the house and in my eggsperience, I will gladly pay the price difference because it is a premium product.  Ready to cook in less than half the time and lasts longer.  I'll just have to wait until the next time I travel out of the area to stock up on it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    Stlcharcol:
    Many thanks for the explanation, it gave a rational basis to our many observations. I knew "what" and now I know "why".
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Lit
    Options
    I like big pieces because I can break them down if need be and they still promote air flow. Fogo lump is fully carbonized and burns forever even though its slow to light. Here is a pic of the first chunks I pulled out of a bag this wasn't fishing through it this was the whole first half of the bag. To each their own but there are many options for lump in Georgia especially at the $1 a pound price range. I am really liking the last bag of natures own I got for quick cooks its very neutral since its made from sugar maple.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    SWVABeanCounter
    The last time I got charcoal I ordered it from firecraft as well.  If you spend $100 it's free shipping.  So my brother and I split the order.  The only thing I can get around here is RO, Cowboy, BGE, and Natural Glo.  So ordering these good fuels from there is a no brainer.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Lit
    Options
    Here's a pic of what is left in my bag of rockwood and what went into my small. Thats my small so the majority of what you are looking at is 1" or smaller. I agree it has a good smell and is very neutral smoke Maybe I just need to get a bag from ace thats only been shipped once this came from firecraft.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Lit said:
    Here's a pic of what is left in my bag of rockwood and what went into my small. Thats my small so the majority of what you are looking at is 1" or smaller. I agree it has a good smell and is very neutral smoke Maybe I just need to get a bag from ace thats only been shipped once this came from firecraft.

How much is left in the bag in the second picture?  Normally we have less than 1# of chips and fines in a 20# bag.  That looks like it's still mixed with small to med sized ones.  I'm just curious since I've never seen a bag after it leaves St. Louis.

I might have to order some of that Fogo lump and try it out.  I see a 35# bag on Amazon for $40 w/ free shipping.  Is that what everyone is buying?  It says it's from central America.....I thought it was from eastern Europe?

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    SWVABeanCounter
    The last time I got charcoal I ordered it from firecraft as well.  If you spend $100 it's free shipping.  So my brother and I split the order.  The only thing I can get around here is RO, Cowboy, BGE, and Natural Glo.  So ordering these good fuels from there is a no brainer.

Thanks Saluki, but I knew that.  I ordered a few Christmas presents from them and threw that in for good measure.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Personally I'm an Ozark Oak guy. Getting it for 50 cents per lb helps as I travel through Arkansas. Next time I cut through St Louis I'll load up on Rockwood for me and @dlk7. It's great stuff. I did an 18 hour cook with it...no sorting, dump and light and had plenty left over. I freaked out on the size also but it works so to me it's irrelevant.

At this point start humming the Star Spangle Banner. ..

Gentleman and egg goddesses, by buying Rockwood Lump Charcoal we are supporting an American based and American owned company. At a time when unemployment and taxes are high we are helping to preserve the American dream by doing our part to boost the economy. Not only that but we are supporting a fellow egghead...one of our own.
    God bless Rockwood
    God bless Big Green Egg...and
    God bless the USA

The viewpoints in this post are in no way endorsed by Rockwood or BGE.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Dang @henapple, now you got me crying.

• dldawes1
    Options

@HENAPPLE...makes me want to jump in the truck and rush to ole St Louie to buy myself a bag !!

I haven't started searching around my neck of the woods yet for various lumps. I've got to quit working so much...

Thanks,

Donnie

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Donnie. ..where are you located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    dldawes1 said:

@HENAPPLE...makes me want to jump in the truck and rush to ole St Louie to buy myself a bag !!

I haven't started searching around my neck of the woods yet for various lumps. I've got to quit working so much...

Thanks,

Donnie

If you make it down toward Lexington, it's at the BGE dealer in Versailles (Bluegrass Grills).

• dldawes1
    Options
    @stlcharcoal...I'll get down there and get me some....real soon !!!! Thanks, I just havent had much time since I got my BGE to do any shopping. I will check it out though...thanks again.

@HENAPPLE....I live in Northern KY, halfway between Cinci and Louisville. I normally do most "city" shopping in Louisville, however I do frequently go to Lexington and Cinci.

Thanks,
    Donnie

• chainsaw19
    Options
    I have tried many brands and it is easily the best lump charcoal I have used. Love this stuff.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD