Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First 'stand up' whole chicken. How?

Options
acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
For Christmas wife got me one of those metal cones that you put in the middle of a whole chicken and it stands it up. 

What is next? 

Do I use my platesetter or should I used raised direct or just put it on the normal grill.

Drip pan? 

How should I season the bird? I've got all sorts of marinade stuff... mango, etc. 

I've done the spatchcock chicken before, but never a whole bird. 

How long do I cook it and at what temp (approx.?)

Thanks.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Looty
    Looty Posts: 16
    Options
    I have done a few beer can chickens this way. I use about half a can of beer, fill it back up with cider vinegar, garlic, rosemary and some old bay. I use a rub UNDER the skin (a rub made by a gentleman that is a representative of the KCBS). I put it under because of the high sugar content and it's tendency to burn at the temp I cook it at. another on the outside that has no sugar, Dinosaur BBQs Cajan Foreplay normally. Cook at 375 direct and raised. Some apple and cherry for smoke. About 90 mins or about 170 internal at the breast. Rest for 10 or so mins.
    Atl, Lg Egg, TV Guy
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I prefer "raised direct"  with the "upside down" method made famous by Little Steven.  Putthe chicken on the holder so that the thighs and legs are highest... where it is hotter... and the breast down.  I place the holder in a SMALL pie pan that will shield the breast from direct heat... and also catch the grease.  You may have to enlarge the neck opening a bit by cutting off an inch or two of the neck bone using kitchen shears.  
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I do them indirect at about 375 with a drip pan. I have used many different rubs, even just salt, proper, paprika. Usually about 1.5 hours or so, usually put baking
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY