Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Dutch Oven Size: 5 or 7 qt

I have a LBGE and am pulling the trigger on a DO. Was leaning towards the 7 qt but have not used one before and wanted to get some feedback on what some of you have and your experience. Thanks

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,418
    I have a 5 quart that fits just fine on the large... that said, I would love to a have a 7 or 8 quart size so I can do bigger meals :)
  • Is the 5 qt big enough for roast or chicken?

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,574
    Get the large. You can double up on soups and stews
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 469
    Bigger is better!! Can always put 5qt in the 7, but can't put 7 in the 5!!!
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,474
    Get both.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I have a 5 but often could use a larger DO when making stew or green chile

• CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,657
    I do fine with my 5 Qt, can cook for 5-6 people in it, have not wished for larger.  With that said, if you anticipate larger cooks, go for the 7.  FWIW I also have a 2 qt lodge which I really like for sides.  Fits along side the main course for sprouts, beans, etc.  
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    edited January 2014
    Get large. A smaller one will hog up a lot of realestate in the egg anyways so may as well go big. I have one that's 8 quarts I believe and it's great for parties and frying stuff.
    Dunedin, FL
  • vchelfvchelf Posts: 95
    I got a 7qt Lodge Dutch Oven after Christmas. It fits fine in the large BGE. I figured the larger DO would be more versatile. I made a batch of chili and had plenty for a couple of days.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,221
    go with the 7
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 8,475
    Agreed- go with the 7 qt.  I have the 5 and will probably get a 7 to make bigger batches of chili. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,536
    I have a 5 and love it.  Also fits in the small egg.  It fits any chili recipe that I have made requiring 2lbs of meat plus ingredients...
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 722
    +1 7 Quart.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,152
    one of my favorite cooks is a 10 to 12 pound pot roast in the 7
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 17,323
    7 is safer to fry in
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 3,688
    I have the 7 and highly recommend it if you haven't gotten one yet. I did baked beans in yesterday while cooking brisket.
    XL, WSM, Little Kahuna, Coleman RoadTrip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.