Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on how to:

Options
So I had my new LBGE and table delivered last month.  I knew all along I wanted to do a nice stain/poly to protect it and deepen the wood grain, but since the BGE is already in the table, short of disassembling(which I rather not do) is there any easy way to get the BGE out so I can pull the table in the garage and do these projects while its freezing outside?  Guess I was so excited to get it fired up that I overlooked that small detail....In addition, what type of stain/poly have you guys used on Cypress? Thanks,

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I'd at least take the internal ceramics out, and then get a buddy to help.
    And don't depend on the band to hold the bottom while you lift on the lid, like I did!  
    :-O

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• cam05210
    Options

What's the approx. weight once you take everything out and leave just the base and top?  Two people should be able to lift it out right??

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited January 2014
    Options
    cam05210 said:

What's the approx. weight once you take everything out and leave just the base and top?  Two people should be able to lift it out right??

Yes, 2 folks can do it no problem. It's more awkward than heavy for 2 people once emptied. Like @botch said, carry from the base. I've moved mine in and out of the nest onto a dolly by myself.

Edit: just base and dome, probably 60lbs?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    If the table has open sides, two people can grab the bottom and push up half way, have a 3rd person (even a child can do it) stick a small stool or anything sturdy under the egg, rest the egg on the stool... since the egg is already half way out, it's easy to grab the base from above and removed the egg.
    canuckland
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I don't think I'd trust them not to slip out from under it, but most U-Haul dealers sell straps called Forearm Fork-lift.  They're basically heavy duty nylon mesh straps meant to make it easier for two people to pick up something reasonably heavy and awkward in size or shape (i.e. no good hand holds). 

Actually, I just remembered something similar.  Google pot lifter.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    njl said:
    I don't think I'd trust them not to slip out from under it, but most U-Haul dealers sell straps called Forearm Fork-lift.  They're basically heavy duty nylon mesh straps meant to make it easier for two people to pick up something reasonably heavy and awkward in size or shape (i.e. no good hand holds). 

Actually, I just remembered something similar.  Google pot lifter.

Hey, great idea!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month