Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5# TRI TIP

BGEBrian
BGEBrian Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok. I have a 5# tri-tip roast. how should I cook such a monster? slow and low or normal? how long is it gonna take to get to 135?[p]cooking it for tomorrow evening. HELP???

Comments

• Hi BGEBrian,[p]While I have not done one on my egg yet, Tri Tip is one of my specialties. I usually rub them and marinate overnight. I sear them over high heat and then complete them at a lower temp. Using a Weber or Gas Grill, I simply move the meat to the indirect section of the grill. You may want to look up the “Trexing” method in the archives discussed here. You basically get your egg real hot, (500+) and sear your meat to create your desired crust. Remove the meat, cover and let it rest until your egg temp lowers to the 350 range. Put your meat back on and cook until done. Using my old tools, this took about 40 to 50 minutes all told.[p]If you are curious, you can find my recipe at the below link.[p]Cheers,[p]BP in SD

[ul][li]Bryans's Blackened Tri Tip[/ul]
  • BGEBrian
    BGEBrian Posts: 24
    BP,[p]thanks for the recipe and advice. I will try your method! I have put the rub on and will let it marinate tonite, so it is ready for a Sunday afternoon BGE.
  • BGEBrian,[p]You are welcome. Mango-Papaya Salsa goes well with the blackened tri tip. If you are going to add smoke, I suggest staying away from fruit woods for this recipe.[p]Good luck and have fun.[p]BP in SD