Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cyber Q vs. Stoker. I've researched my butt off and can't decide.

I know that there is a lot of threads dealing with this but I'm hoping that there will be a few new opinions after everyone got their Christmas presents. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Stoker,

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    I've got the CyberQ WiFi and have been pleased with it.  Can't vouch for the Stoker because I've never used one, but the CyberQ does what it says it will do and is very reliable and functional.  

There aren't a lot of times that I need to check on the temps of my Egg and three different foods cooking in it, and also adjust the Egg temp up or down, all via the Internet when I am many miles away from home and Egg, but I have certainly done this with the CyberQ several times and it works.

I use a Thermopen 98% of the time, but when I need the capabilities of the CyberQ it works well.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    I am not an expert on either one, but I have just recently purchased the Stoker. First, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I have just used my Stoker two times. It worked well. I didn't have any problem setting it up to my WiFi it worked great using it. I did have a problem setting it up to use it outside of my network. It was not a problem with the Stoker. The problem was with my modem. It needed to be set to bridge mode. My fellow Eggers on the forum were very helpful with suggestions that got my son and I on the right track to solve the problem. Now it works great. I can see what my Egg is doing on my computer, IPhone, or IPad at home. I can leave home and still be able to see how everything is doing and change settings on my IPhone,if I need to. It seem to be well built. It is easy to recalibrate the probes. You can use it with more than one pit at the same time. I can't comment on the customer service, because I don't know. As for as needing it, I don't. I just like gadgets and I like it. If you are going to be away from home during your cook, being able to check on it is cool. Maybe someone that has used one longer and has more experience with the Stoker will give you some input. I faced the same dilemma, but decided on the Stoker. I believe the other one would have been fine also. I didn't need the ability to check on it away from home, because I am usually here while I am cooking, but now I can if the need arises.
  • Yeah, I really don't need it either and probably will only use it to it's true potential a couple of times a year when I have the Egg going and get called in to work.  It's really almost as much for SWMBO as it is for me as then I wouldn't have to call her every half hour to an hour and tell her to check the Egg for me.  ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I have had my Stoker for a few years and would not be without it
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have the CyberQ and the PartyQ.  Love their products.  I have no first hand knowledge of the Stoker.   If you need to monitor and control two Eggs, the Stoker can do that.  If not, I have been very happy with the quality of the CyberQ.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    What I like about the Stoker most of all is the way the fan is designed. The fan on the guru has an adjustable dampener and the fan on the stoker doesn't. I have seen a couple post lately about adjusting the fan on the guru at different openings for different outside temps. On the stoker you don't have to mess with the fan because it has a flap the closes when the fan is off. I'm sure that one controller is just as good as the other but the fan design is the main reason I went with the stoker.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• I don't have either yet but I'm leaning towards the stoker since it can control multiple pits (as @smbishop mentioned). I only have an XL but I know I will add another egg at some point.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• I've seen people say that the fact the Guru has a plug to stop airflow after the cook is done is a nice feature, but doesn't the stoker stop airflow when the fan isn't running anyway?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I think I would go with the Stoker vs CyberQ. The firmware on the Stoker seems a bit ahead (has twitter support) and the option to have multiple pits is nice as well. The cost between the two is almost the same, Stoker seems to have more features. Also Stoker has a wired Ethernet port which could be useful in some situations. I needed something (or thought I did) to get me through an away from home cook so bought the PartyQ. If I find the need to monitor when away from home Stoker will be my next step.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Buy them both and write us a review :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2013
    Stoker...and its not even close cause I have a stoker. :)

Hardly any of us will own them both so we'll definitely vouch for the one we own. All of my research led me to the stoker...since it definitely satisfied my geek. In addition, the build quality is top notch.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • @Eggcelsior just sealed the deal for me. I am a nerd.....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I still can't decide which one to get. I'm a nerd too for these things.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2013

I still can't decide which one to get. I'm a nerd too for these things.

If you're a nerd like myself...all roads end with the stoker. My stoker satisfies my geek and other IT folks on the board like @michigan_jason
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....