Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to try my first beef brisket

New to the forum but had a small BGE several years. Bought a LBGE this month and want to try doing a brisket for New Year's Day football. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Looks like salt and pepper on the brisket, indirect with a drip pan at 250 for 14-18 hours for a 13 pound brisket. Internal temp of 195? Then wrap in foil and towles and place in a cooler for a couple of hours. One thing that's been a bit of an adjustment from my small is using enough charcoal for my large. How much should I use in my large for the brisket? Thanks.
Large, Small & Mini. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Welcome!

Fill the fire box all the way, you'll have plenty of lump. Sounds like you have the rest under control - good luck!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I'd fill it at least part way up into the fire ring. It may or may not be done at an IT of 195. I'd recommend that you start probing it for tenderness when the IT reaches 195 in the thickest part of the flat. You want that probe to go in with very little resistance. Most of the briskets I've cooked reach this in the 200-205 range but I've had a couple that held up the fight until about 210.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Good advice above. How much lump. Reminds me of Ron Whites bit about the pilot asking everyone's weight to see how much fuel to put in...Fill 'er up.

:((
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Especially for long cooks, fill it at least to the fire ring.  You can always shut it down an use leftover lump for the next cook...and doing so is easier than running out and having to disassemble (remove grates and plate setter) to add more lump mid-cook.
  • Fill it to the top of the fire ring and you will have plenty of fuel.  set your temp relax and have a brew or ten.....
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Texansurf said:
    Fill it to the top of the fire ring and you will have plenty of fuel.  set your temp relax and have a brew or ten.....
    I run it with the dome temp at 300 (gets It done a little quicker). Coat the brisket with Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb and Salt Lick Dry rub, throw a drip pan on the plate setter with a beer that someone left in my fridge from the last cook and let it go to internal of 205 to 210. I have just never had a bad one. I started the New Years tradition a couple of years ago when I made one for a friend, this year I am going to cook it for New Years Eve since I don't have to work this year.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    TEH68-Sounds like you got your information and it looks like you are just up the road from me. Where are you getting your lump? What brand are you using?
    ~Go DAWGS!!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • TEH68
    TEH68 Posts: 62
    Thanks everyone for great advice.

@Acorn, I still just use the BGE charcoal and pick it up at a BGE dealer in East Cobb and in Roswell.
    Large, Small & Mini. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I always load my LBGE up to the top of the fire ring and then add in my wood chunks for smoke. OFF TOPIC> should be a good game. GBR!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL