Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook turkey unattended?

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,541
edited December 2013 in Poultry
Have a dilemma ... committed to cooking a turkey and taking to a friend's place in the afternoon on Saturday; just got an invitation for lunch at a restaurant @ 12:30pm ... put the turkey on at noon and hope for the best ???  :-/  :-/  :-/

btw, I have a Stoker but wifi access point setting got messed up since we changed the router, guess I can try to fix it now.
canuckland

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Well I might say something overly simple like set the egg for 325 and stabilise, or does the stoker not work as a pitminder without wifi?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options
    Stoker still works but without wifi I won't be able to watch/control the temp remotely, guess I should just relax and let it rip!
    canuckland
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    yeah, unless you are going to be gone more than 15 minutes per pound, I wouldn't worry about it
    Pentwater, MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,414
    Options
    The above options sound good but a few more details could help...how big is the turkey-time you depart turkey cooking location for restaurant-what time do you have to leave for friend's house...as mentioned-if you run at around 325-350*F on the calibrated dome plan on around 12 mins/lb since you are not gonna be around for most of the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    good luck, they never take as long as i think…..
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would have to abort restaurant plans and take care of the turkey that you committed to your friend. Not being a smartarse just stating what I would do

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would have to abort restaurant plans and take care of the turkey that you committed to your friend. Not being a smartarse just stating what I would do

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Do you have a webcam and a remote thermometer of some sort? I could send you this handy program I wrote to take a picture of my webcam and text it to me every 15 minutes. I point my webcam at my maverick and get the temps sent to me when I'm not home.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Do you have a webcam and a remote thermometer of some sort? I could send you this handy program I wrote to take a picture of my webcam and text it to me every 15 minutes. I point my webcam at my maverick and get the temps sent to me when I'm not home.

You are the man. That is cool
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    Options
    It's only a 12 pounder.  Restaurant about 20-minute away, will be gone approx from 12:15 and 2:15. Plan to leave for friend's house (an hour away) around 3:00.

I may omit the brine step to 'prolong' the cook.  Going to try fixing Stoker wifi for remote temp monitoring.

Aborting restaurant plan is also an option ;(
    canuckland
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Lower the cook temp to 225 - 250 and you should be OK.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Maybe I'm old school but I set it and forget it - trust your Egg.  Don't need an electrical device to cook my food for me...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Canugghead
    edited December 2013
    Options
    put turkey on at 250 and left, no Stoker ... came home two hours later and cranked temp to 325 ... it's now 3pm ET, breast at 126, legs at 141, all looks good, thanks for everyone's help!
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Are you coming by?

Steve 

Caledon, ON