Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first turbo butt advice

I plan on doing 2 7 pound butts for a group of about 20 and wanted to try a turbo cook. just wanted to know if there's a set hours per pound at a certain temperature. Thanks.

Comments

• Cook to temp not time...350* indirect to 195-200* internal. some folks wrap at 160* internal till done. Then FTC till your ready to pull. The last 8# ers I did took about 5 1/2 hrs. Enjoy!

Opelika, Alabama
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2013
    Found better and easier not to bother to wrap at the 160 (IMO). I like to pull now @ 200. Very good easy cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

500 Posts: 3,177
    I agree with Mickey. Let it ride without protection. It's still a quick cook. Watch the temps. Still needs to rest FTC afterwards though for like an hour.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I ride about 325...foil at 160...roughly 1 hr per lb. Depending on other meats, sides, men vs women ...you might consider more pork. At 60% you'll have roughly 8.5 lbs. Concensus may be 3 sandwiches per lb...24 sandwiches. I usually eat an 8 oz sandwich. Something to consider.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    henapple said:

I ride about 325...foil at 160...roughly 1 hr per lb. Depending on other meats, sides, men vs women ...you might consider more pork. At 60% you'll have roughly 8.5 lbs. Concensus may be 3 sandwiches per lb...24 sandwiches. I usually eat an 8 oz sandwich. Something to consider.

8 are kids and the remaining 12 are half men half women. Amound of meat wont be an issue. I just wanted to know an approximate time to weight ratio for the purpose of timing. I have a lot of stuff on the itinerary for the day.
  • I'd probably say cooking those two 7 lb butts at 350 uncovered will take you around 6-7 hrs going to 200 internal temp. I cooked some about the same size last week and misjudged. Put them on at midnight thinking I'd be able to wake up around 7 however I overslept and got to them around 8. Internal temp was around 213. They were pretty dry but I was able to salvage most of it. Good luck!
    Houston, TX
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Five and a half hours at roughly 360 on Christmas Eve. Foiled at 160, pulled at 202 IT. Simply delicious. And I froze about 3 pounds this time. Getting hungry even thinking about it.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life