Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX2 Question........

First, Merry Christmas.

Second, I got a DigiQ for Christmas, and am using it for the first time right now for our Standing Rib Roast. Problem is, it keeps overshooting the temps by 20 degrees or more. It's a large BGE with the Pit Viper fan, and I did as the paper work said and started with the fan's damper half open. Then after looking around here I decided to close the damper on the fan down to near closed, but then it was having trouble keeping things hot enough. I've got the DFTM closed with the daisy wheel open about and eighth inch or less.

Lastly, I opened the fan's damper to a quarter open.

Question is this, for those that use this set-up, where do you keep your daisy wheel and fan damper set for low and slow? I'm trying to maintain 235 grid temp.

Thanks everyone and again Merry Christmas!!

Lee

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've found the space the cable causes is sufficient to hold a low temp. Close the dw
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    On my XL I set the damper to 1/4 open and once the temp is within 10 degrees of my target temp, I close the daisy wheel completely.   The fan will force enough air past the daisy wheel and gasket to hold the temp.  May over shoot for a little bit will settle in within 10 minutes or so.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    Just started mine for some prime rib.  Setting at 225 until it reaches internal temp of 125.  Then I will pull and tent for 10 minutes, remove the daisy wheel and digiq, run the temp up to 550 and then sear all 4 sides. 

Waunakee, WI

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    dlk7 said:
    On my XL I set the damper to 1/4 open and once the temp is within 10 degrees of my target temp, I close the daisy wheel completely.   The fan will force enough air past the daisy wheel and gasket to hold the temp.  May over shoot for a little bit will settle in within 10 minutes or so.
    That's interesting. I have an XL and have always opened the 25CFM Pit Viper damper all the way to start the fire. Once close to the target temp I close the daisy wheel to almost closed, just open enough so a toothpick could fit. The DigiQ has always kept the temp dead nuts on the target temp. It shows that it just gives a little puff of air every few minutes. The dome temp and DigiQ temp start with a spread of about 10~15 degrees but get within a few degrees as the cook progresses.
    More than one way to adjust the temp I guess.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
    edited December 2013
    Thanks so much for the quick replies so far!  Hey, dlk, I'm assuming you're doing the crust up at 550 with the platesetter still in place
  •   If you are shooting for a low temp., start the fire high in the lump toward the front of the grill.  It will travel to the rear as you progress.  I run the fan damper full open and almost close the daisy wheel.  It is slightly cracked.  I have had trouble maintaining low temperatures in the past because I started the fire too low in the lump and also in multiple places.  So one fire starter cube, up front, and high in the lump works.  I recently smoked and finished some cured bacon and ran at 210 F. 
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • dlk7
    Thanks so much for the quick replies so far!  Hey, dlk, I'm assuming you're doing the crust up at 550 with the platesetter still in place
    I will throw it on my other XL direct at 550.  If I only had one, I would pull the plate setter with welding gloves.

Waunakee, WI