Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So what does "spiral-sliced" really mean??

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,491
I got a Harrington's ham for this christmas (I won't get banned for buying a pre-smoked ham, will I?) and tried one of the "spiral-sliced" offerings.  Cut it into four chunks and froze the other three, heated up the other for dinner today.  
Well, I thought "spiral-sliced" meant it was cut about halfway through, then rotated in a screw-direction manner, making serving (and later sammich-making) easier.  But this ham is what I'd call "spiral-scored", it has shallow cuts all around it, only about 1/2" deep; I'm guessing its to allow a glaze to go into the ham (I cooked mine naked).  No biggie, especially since I just got a meat slicer.
But, now I "googlez-Image'd" spiral-sliced hams, and they all look like this:

WTH??  What am I missing here?  
:-??

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have went to spiral cut "pre-cooked" hams for all my Naked cooks. Bet you just got a mis-cut one. It will cook fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.