Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey question

Options
Scouting around for some turkey wisdom. I don't know if you guys (stateside) cook turkey for Christmas lunch but it's mandatory in the UK. I've read through most of the Thanksgiving posts but there's a few worries I've still got about using the Green Egg for a  Christmas lunch so I test drove a turkey bird last week following an apple-based recipe: apple stuffing, cinnamon etc., smoked over apple wood. The results were smokey...too smokey. That's great if it's a hot summer day and there's a side order of slaw but this is Christmas. I just doesn't feel right. There was also the constant problem of an over cooked breast. What I'm after is a much more neutral flavour that allows the natural sweetness of the bird to prevail above the cooking effects. I also know that you need to regularly turn that bird if you want to keep the breast meat in touch with the legs etc. At this stage I'm thinking of casing it up in thick foil for the initial cook and then tail-gate the skin in the last hour or so. I'm also thinking half-hourly turns--quickies--so as not to keep loosing the dome heat.

Any advice would be nice

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Check out the amazingribs.com turkey post. I would post the link if I wasn't on my phone. Just do a web search for "Amazing Ribs Turkey" and it should be the first result. He has all the answers to all turkey questions.

Hope that helps!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Google Mad Max Turkey on the Big Green Egg.  Follow his directions and it will turn out perfect everytime.  I didn't have to turn it during the entire 5 hour cook.  It did put a foil tent over it at about 3 hours.  He fixes the breast temp issue by icing the breasts for 20 minutes just prior to putting it on the egg.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI