Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low'n Slow Question

Options
Saturday night I did an overnight low-and-slow pork butt (picnic). The cook was 250* for about 12 hours until the meat hit 200* and was extremely probe tender. The meat turned out great, with one exception. The bottom portion of the meat that was in contact with the cast iron grate was extremely dry and tough - like it was severely overcooked. Before this, the last overnight low-temperature cook I did was a prime packer brisket and the same thing happened - fantastic meat except for the bottom that was in contact with the grate. So there was a lot of wasted meat on both cooks.

Is this common? How do I avoid this? These are indirect cooks using a platesetter. And it isn't just the edges that are dry, it's the entire bottom portion of the meat.

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Maybe you could try filling a drip pan with water under the meat? Just a guess... Based on your description, that is the only thing I do differently, apart from using the SS grate.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I use the SS instead of CI and I have yet to have this problem... I only use my CI when I need the grid really hot for searing and grill marks.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Are you cooking it fat side up or down?  I think cooking it down helps protect the meat from overcooking and provides a second "indirect" barrier.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    I use the SS instead of CI and I have yet to have this problem... I only use my CI when I need the grid really hot for searing and grill marks.
    Just something to consider...the CI grate has a lot more surface touching the butt/brisket and it could be overcooking the bottom side of the meat. I'm with Chris on this one. Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I am making the assumption you are cooking indirect with the plate setter below the grid.  If not, that would account for the dryness from being exposed to the coals heat.  Fat down does seem to work best.  Just don't trim it too close, I had a butcher that over trimmed a beef shoulder clod and it came out dry even indirect. I also use the SS grid for low and slow.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Federalist226
    Options
    I've been doing fat side up. I had considered whether that might be an issue, but it seems strange nonetheless.

And yes, I am definitely cooking indirect with the platesetter bellow the grid. I have a drip pan sitting on top of the platesetter, but I don't fill it with water. I've tried that in the past and didn't like the results (bark didn't really set).
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I never really notice a difference with fat cap up or down.  I would defiantly use the stainless grate over the CI grate.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    try using a V rack so the meat isn't on the cast iron grate 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • jjsupafly
    Options

I had the same issue with a prime brisket a couple of weeks ago.  Was using a the same setup as the OP (stainless grate, platesetter legs up, etc.).  Have done a few other briskets and never had this problem.  My original thought was that I may have gone a bit long (12 hours for a 10ish lb brisket)??  That being said, the rest of the brisket was amazing!  Tremendously juicy, tender, and, flavorful.  We'll see what happens with the next one... 
    Brisket Is My Spirit Animal