Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made sausages

Options
I am wanting to start making my own sausages. Can anyone direct me towards books to buy and equipment I should look for? I will appreciate any info that will help me.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Charcuterie is a great resource if you're looking for a book. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I started with Mastering the Craft of Making Sausage and what I've tried is pretty good, but honestly there are a ton of websites you can check out while getting started to make sure you are really interested before dropping money. This is a really great site: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/ or you can check out the The Smoke Ring Forum and look at their section devoted to making sausage. Or you can check out my site. There are a few recipes on there. I've gotten the most feedback from our venison jalapeno cheese recipe (just use all pork if you don't have access to deer)

If you have the money, I would recommend getting both a dedicated grinder and a dedicated stuffer. The grinder can work as a stuffer, but once you use a stuffer, you'll wonder why you didn't get one to start with. Stay away from the attachements for mixers. I run the Kitchener #12 from Northern Tools as my grinder and the LEM #5 for my stuffer. perfect combo for 5-10 batches.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Somebody around these parts will probably know the answers.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Options
    Oh...and I've got two other sausage books that I have yet to use. One is a brand new one that was sent to me to review. Really need to get on that and another that I bought and haven't even cracked open yet. So many recipes, so little time...but so many free ones online if you just look.

Rowlett, Texas

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    +1 for Charcuterie
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Griffin
    Options
    I'm gonna have to dig out my copy of Charcuterie and look at their sausage recipes again. For some reason, none of them stood out enough for me to remember them but there must be something.

Rowlett, Texas

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    +2 on Charcuterie

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Charcuterie is great but i look to it for more advanced stuff. Regular fresh sausage, just go to the Internet. Big +1 on getting a dedicated stuffer. I have the Kitchenaid attachment and it is not good. It works but it is not good.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited December 2013
    Options
    @gmac, dedicated stuffer? my foot. sorry my thumb. just funnel, sorry funning  :)
    canuckland
  • gmac
    Options
    @canugghead. I was thinking of your thumb powered funnel. I guess you can do more with it. Point was the Kitchenaid is slow and doesn't hold enough meat. So maybe I should have said anything but the mixer stuffer. Better? :)
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    @gmac  I have the Kitchenaid stand mixer and almost all the attachments and I make home made sausages often I agree the sausage stuffer is a little slow and it has a small capacity but I find that if you do it as a two man project it works well one man pushes the meat the other man receives the sausages thats how we do it 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    @gmac  I have the Kitchenaid stand mixer and almost all the attachments and I make home made sausages often I agree the sausage stuffer is a little slow and it has a small capacity but I find that if you do it as a two man project it works well one man pushes the meat the other man receives the sausages thats how we do it 

I certainly don't want to be the reciever :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited December 2013
    Options

I certainly don't want to be the reciever :((
    ROFLMFAO  =)=)=))
    canuckland
  • Griffin
    Options
    With a dedicated stuffer, you can turn that two man project into a one man project. No need to have anybody help you.

Rowlett, Texas

• gmac
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Don't disagree that it will work but I prefer not have another man involved with pushing my meat. If my wife isn't available to help then I have to push my meat solo. If you're making sausage once in a while it is fine. But I buy whole pigs a couple times a year and get them butchered and make sausage with the trimmings so we are looking at bigger amounts. @charlesmaneri. Do you have the pasta maker? I'm thinking about that and wondering if its good.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    gmac said:
    Don't disagree that it will work but I prefer not have another man involved with pushing my meat. If my wife isn't available to help then I have to push my meat solo. If you're making sausage once in a while it is fine. But I buy whole pigs a couple times a year and get them butchered and make sausage with the trimmings so we are looking at bigger amounts. @charlesmaneri. Do you have the pasta maker? I'm thinking about that and wondering if its good.
    So you don't want another man pushing your meat? Does that mean you have no issue with another man receiving your meat? I mean they do say that only the one that receives it is...

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Little Steven yes I have both kitchen aid Pasta makers  they are okay they work for home use if your making tons of Pasta I would seek a commercial unit 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    edited December 2013
    Options
    All this talk about homemade sausage stirred up the craving...

Guess what I'm having for lunch?
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July