Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Mac n Cheese

Is BGE Mac n Cheese better than kitchen cooked? If so, then does anyone have a recipe they're proud of and will gladly share. My so-in-law and my loverly daughter are moving to Colorado Springs and his BGE is packed away. So i thought it would be cool if he and I could give it a try while they visited us during Christmas

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,562
    i love it.  it is a house favorite around here.  

here is what I use but its really just a guideline.  feel free to add and drop to your tastes. 

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,867
    I tried this recipe from @Griffin /Southern Living. 

It was excellent.  It is more of a main course than a side item IMO.  I cooked the chicken (a couple of large split breasts, bone-in, skin on) on the egg while my wife prepared the skilled of mac n cheese inside.  I mixed in the chicken meat and back on the egg at 375ish for about 15-20 minutes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,674
    @SmokeyPitt it's definitely a meal on its own and not a side. Have you ever had King Ranch chicken?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,867
    @Griffin I have not had King Ranch chicken before.  It is definitely on my list of things to try.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,674

Maybe its a southern thing. Or maybe its a Texas thing. You can't pick up a Junior League cookbook in Texas without finding at least one recipe.

Sorry to take your thread off track @gfavor. If you like mac and cheese, try it on the Egg. The Egg is just like an oven, except it cooks better. The temperature is more steady and doesn't fluctuate up and down.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• @Griffin: I'm glad you pepper the King Ranch Mac & Cheese post with all those diet disclaimers. It looks most excellent and the little pitch forked guy on my right shoulder is saying "make me, consume me."  I may have to just admire that dish from afar as I would get read the riot act from my wife if I made it.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,173
    Here's Necessary Indulgences mac & 4 cheese, very good.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 4,005
    @griffin I was planning to make your kings ranch Mac and cheese this week. How many servings in that recipe? I'm feeding eight, should I double the recipe? Two adults, two teenagers, and four kids age 4-10 will be fed. Was planning on a one dish meal. What do ya think?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 5,678
    I make the mac n cheese recipe I got from Vidalia at Porkopolis.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1333753&catid=1
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio