Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on reverse searing?

I have been reading a lot of posts on reverse searing and would like to give it a try.  One question however, or possibly two...If I cook the steak at 300 degrees indirect and then raise the temp to 500 degrees to sear, am I removing the plate setter before I raise the temp?   If yes,  what are you egger's doing to remove the grates and plate setter.  I would think that a better sear would be direct but logistically, removing the 300 degree cast iron grates and plate setter and placing them somewhere seems problematic and risky.  I suspect you are searing with the plate setter still in the egg.  Possibly a good reason to get a second egg?
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yes, the sear is done direct. I have a dutch oven camp table on one side of my egg and my gas grill on the other side. Cooking grid goes on one, platesetter on the other. When removing the platesetter make sure you have a clear path to where you are going with it and no one will get in the way. Especially important if you have young children around.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • No way man.. Cook indirect at 225 first.  Remove steak at 115 and foil.  Welder's gloves on, and remove platesetter. Open vents, get to 600, then sear all sides for a minute total (take foil off first).  Works like a charm and you are a hero!
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • I do the sear direct. Having 2000 degree Zetex gloves makes removing the platesetter a non issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Plate setter gets pulled as soon as steaks hit 105 to 110 and before going nuclear. I have a travertine insert in my table and the PS goes there, but ya still gotta remember not to touch it! I sear at 700.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited December 2013
    steaks are best done as a direct cook, sear close the fire, roast in the dome til desired internal temp.  
    The one thing I don't like about the reverse sear is I'm doing the hottest part of the cook last and during that cook trying to hit the target temp for the meat.  The margin for error is greater......over cook because not enough char, under cook because to much char to fast...... 

couple sirloins I did last week, blacken then roast to 130ish internal temp.  Note the small piece of mesquite in the pan for flavor.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited December 2013
    I've never bothered doing the first part of the cook indirect. I have the spider and put either the CI grid or CI griddle on it in the beginning down low near the lump. I guess that when I use the CI griddle that would be considered indirect though, but no indirect piece has to be removed, only the cooking grid. I cook the steak on the AR rig raised direct to 110-115 @ 250-300. Remove the steak and cover, remove the top grid and crank up the temp. Put the steak back on the CI setup at about 500-600 dome. (it's quite a bit hotter down on the spider) and sear for 90-120 seconds per side. Pull the steak and check the temp. to make sure it's 125-130, if not back on the CI for a little more. The steaks are always perfect med. rare and pink from edge to edge. I do the same for roasts, but with a longer sear time. Also I sear with the top of the egg up.  
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Here is an 8" piece of filet I did as a roast,then sliced into steaks.With my above described set-up.
    fil.jpg 87.2K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

billyray said:
    I've never bothered doing the first part of the cook indirect. I have the spider and put either the CI grid or CI griddle on it in the beginning down low near the lump. I guess that when I use the CI griddle that would be considered indirect though, but no indirect piece has to be removed, only the cooking grid. I cook the steak on the AR rig raised direct to 110-115 @ 250-300. Remove the steak and cover, remove the top grid and crank up the temp. Put the steak back on the CI setup at about 500-600 dome. (it's quite a bit hotter down on the spider) and sear for 90-120 seconds per side. Pull the steak and check the temp. to make sure it's 125-130, if not back on the CI for a little more. The steaks are always perfect med. rare and pink from edge to edge. I do the same for roasts, but with a longer sear time. Also I sear with the top of the egg up.  
    I don't have the spider but I use a similar setup with a griddle on the grid, and a raised grid over it.  I agree the griddle acts as an indirect piece and then you can sear on it and you only have to remove the top grid.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.