Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30 hours later, still red hot coals - $&@!

Options
Found out the hard way, cleaning out the ash with my bare hands. Guess I'll get that ash tool now...

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Ouch - painful lesson.
    Options
    I'm glad I use the ash tool or I would have done the same thing this summer. I cooked one Saturday night and the next day I cleaned the bottom out and used the ash tool to stir the leftover lump . I dumped new lump in and went inside only to return shortly afterwards to a fully hot egg.
    It's amazing how long the coals stay hot.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,553
    Options
    Wow, I DO use an ash tool, but dump the "ash" into a plastic bucket which I toss into the corner without a second thought.
    Need to rethink my processes; thanks for the head's-up!  
    @-)

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I use a galvanized pail - keeps things safe, and also doubles a a hot platesetter holder.
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If I close everything off before bed, mine is completely out by morning. Maybe mine seals off better than yours? Hope you're ok.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,927
    Options
    xjwheelr said:
    Found out the hard way, cleaning out the ash with my bare hands. Guess I'll get that ash tool now...
    I have to assume you meant from the dirt on your hands from cold ashes - vs. using your hands to remove HOT ashes! If not then you must have started this thread months ago after suffering 2,000 degree burns and you are just now regaining some use of your hands.