Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Eve Appetizers-- looking for suggestions

Howdy, geniuses.
    I'm looking for a few new ideas to try for Christmas eve.  There will be 12 adults who love to eat and we are eating appetizers all evening until dessert.  I'm thinking I'll make some pig shots, but I'd like to put a few other apps together.  I've got time (Monday and Tuesday off) and I live 1/2 mile from where we'll be enjoying the festivities.  Since I have some time, I'd like to make something different and fun. Otherwise, it'll be back to Moink Balls, ABTs, and wings.  Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------------
30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

Comments

• lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Have you ever tried bacon wrapped dates? Ou can stuff with an almond or blue cheese. They are very good and always a crowd pleaser.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Smoked planked salmon, can be served room temperature. Thin sliced steak marinated in a teriyaki sauce and wrapped around a water chestnut. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • +1 on the bacon wrapped dates.  I also do a similar rendition using whole waterchestnuts marinated in soy sauce).

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited December 2013
    I did stuffed smoked mushroom caps on the egg. Stuffed with cherizo, shallots, garlic, bacon, jack cheese, chilli pepper and bread crumbs all sautéed in butter. Then drizzled with white wine on the egg and a butter sauce at serving. They were awfully good. Guess the cheese wasn't sautéed. Mixed in in very small dice after the rest cooled.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    First up-no genius here-but to give you other options-check out nibblemethis's site here-his main site has many great recipes- http://www.nibblemethis.com/2012/03/moink-balls-armadillo-eggs-and-sea.html Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The only thing about bacon with apps is keeping it from getting soggy. Pulled pork eggrolls are a huge hit but need to be crisp. Turtle eggs, wings, pork fatties sliders...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Was on a kick doing these for a while.  Real crowd pleaser with a good home made peanut sauce-
    Beef Tenderloin with scallion skewer
    Hot & fast cook, and slather with Soy-Vay.  These are cut for home use-
    And these smaller versions were for eggfest-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    henapple said:
    The only thing about bacon with apps is keeping it from getting soggy. Pulled pork eggrolls are a huge hit but need to be crisp. Turtle eggs, wings, pork fatties sliders...
    +1 on the pulled pork egg rolls!  Did those too the same night as the mushrooms.  Used flour tortilla's ala Chile's Southwestern Egg Rolls and they were also great.  Drizzled homemade chipotle mayo over them.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • bonemuse
    bonemuse Posts: 53
    edited December 2013

lecrams said:
    Have you ever tried bacon wrapped dates? Ou can stuff with an almond or blue cheese. They are very good and always a crowd pleaser.
    In the B.E. times (Before Egg) I would make dates stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in prosciutto.  Maybe it's time to revisit them on the Egg!
    henapple said:
    Guess that would mean I'd have to makes some pulled pork this weekend. Darn. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions- feel free to keep them coming!
    --------------------------------------
    30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Potato Skins.  This is a two step process but worth it.  Bake a bunch of potatoes.  Open and scoop out and have mashed potatoes for dinner.  Day 2 or day 3; grill the skins direct at 350* with shredded cheese, not the bagged stuff, shred a block, add bacon bits, salt and pepper.  I found it best to crisp the skins first naked, then add the cheese and bacon toward the end, cause the cheese melts fast.  I added a few dashes of Franks's RedHot and served with sour cream. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    buffalo chicken dip

shrimp tacos

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    @fishlessman mind giving up that dip recipe?
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Any kind of stick meat done in small pieces. Souvlaki, kabob, kebob, satay or spedini. All the time is in the prep and cooks are fast. You can do a lot in a single cook as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The red and/or blonde pizzas on tortillas is quick, easy, and delicious.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Steak Bruschetta (Brio Tuscan Grill)

4 halves, Ciabatta bread, brushed with oil and garlic and toasted
    1 oz gorgonzola dolce cheese or any creamy gorgonzola cheese
    2 oz beef tenderloin, seasoned and grilled (just to sear the outer surface), chilled and sliced 
    4 tsp charred tomato relish
    1 drizzle balsamic glaze
    1/4 oz fresh arugula
    1/3 oz fresh fennel, shaved thin and stored in cold water
    1 tsp Tuscan Italian dressing
    Salt and pepper to season
    1 tsp Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
    1 drizzle Extra virgin olive oil
    Fresh Ground Pepper
    1. Top each piece of bread with ¼ oz of gorgonzola (spread with your 
    finger), a ½ oz slice of steak and 1 tsp of charred tomato relish

2. Take in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 8-10 minutes, or until the 
    bread is crispy and the ingredients are hot

3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the arugula, fennel (drain the water), 
    Tuscan Italian dressing and a pinch of salt and pepper

4. Remove the bruschetta from the oven, add a drizzle of balsamic and top 
    with the arugula mixture

5. Garnish with the Reggiano cheese, olive oil and black pepper
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • This is pretty good if I do say so.

photo SATAYANDSAUCE1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• This is pretty good if I do say so.

photo SATAYANDSAUCE1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Aquacop said:
    @fishlessman mind giving up that dip recipe?
    i think that was tday smoked turkey leftovers and ive also added chopped celery,
    this is the basics
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it