Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid / Top half keeps falling down and cant stay open

Options
Hi all,

Just wondering what the fix is for this before I tamper with anything as I already had some bad luck on a previous egg.

When I had my previous egg when I opened it, it would stay open, now when I try open the new one it just does not want to stay up and wants to come back down.

Any ideas whats best to fix this?
Tiocfaidh!
Support 26+6=1 United Ireland

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Are your bands on upside down? Let me post  a picture...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Your band should be pointed like this.

• wolfetone
    Options
    Hi,

Really appreciate your help. Yep mine are on exactly like that! cant quite figure it out!
    RRP said:
    Your band should be pointed like this.

Tiocfaidh!
  • RRP
    Options
    Then how old are your springs? They might be sprung.

Also is your egg resting on a relatively flat ground and not leaning forward?

Look at the picture again - is there a chance your bottom pieces which at least mine here are silver bolted to the black part not a quite a right angle? If say instead of 90 degrees and they are more like 100 or more then the springs could be exerting enough pull to close your dome.
  • wolfetone
    Options
    RRP said:
    Then how old are your springs? They might be sprung.

Also is your egg resting on a relatively flat ground and not leaning forward?

Look at the picture again - is there a chance your bottom pieces which at least mine here are silver bolted to the black part not a quite a right angle? If say instead of 90 degrees and they are more like 100 or more then the springs could be exerting enough pull to close your dome.
    The springs are only about 2 months old.

The egg is flat on a paving stone on a table. Wasnt an issue with the previous egg.

The angle I will have to check on and get back to you.

Thanks again!
    Tiocfaidh!
  • Mazzei92300
    Options
    I had the same problem with mine. I tightened the bolts around those two springs for the bands and the problem went away. hope this helps. john
  • wolfetone
    Options
    I had the same problem with mine. I tightened the bolts around those two springs for the bands and the problem went away. hope this helps. john
    Cheers, will try this out!
    Tiocfaidh!