Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoned Again!

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum

Posted by: Richard Fl on 2013/12/05 15:44:59  

Friend of ours recently bought a house on the Intercoastal Waterway and immediately placed 5 crab traps in the river. Last night 4 of use sampled the first catch--more to come until the season is over in March. I also got them to buy a large BGE. The large one was about 6 inches. boiled and chilled 4 hours before supper. Also had fried gator tail and some fish from the river. Know not really egg food but sure tasty.

Richard Melbooooring Fl.

Comments

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Ohh, nevermind. I guess I...... lol........ B-)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's quite a bounty! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    I had stone crab once.  Don't know what all the hoopla is about.  I'll take a good Gulf blue crab any day.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I had stone crab once.  Don't know what all the hoopla is about.  I'll take a good Gulf blue crab any day.

Same, except make that Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab for me.

They do look nice though.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Posted by: Richard Fl on 2013/12/05 15:44:59  

Friend of ours recently bought a house on the Intercoastal Waterway and immediately placed 5 crab traps in the river. Last night 4 of use sampled the first catch--more to come until the season is over in March. I also got them to buy a large BGE. The large one was about 6 inches. boiled and chilled 4 hours before supper. Also had fried gator tail and some fish from the river. Know not really egg food but sure tasty.

Richard Melbooooring Fl.
    If I ever get down there in the season I'm gonna pelt you with about two dozen of them. Love stone crab.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Looks good but I've never understood why stone crab seems to always be served cold.  Is it better cold than hot?  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    gmac said:
    Looks good but I've never understood why stone crab seems to always be served cold.  Is it better cold than hot?

By law within 24 hours of catching the claws are placed in boiling hot water for 15 minutes or so and then chilled.  Most people like them cold however they can be reheated by steaming for 5 minutes. I have been eating them since the '70's and have never steamed them.  Kinda like crab claws your choice. 

• Richard Fl
    Options

We get great blue crabs also.