Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker

Options
Is the stoker the best controller. Do you think it's worth the money. How reliable is it.
Easley SC Go! Tigers

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I've had my Stoker for a year and I'm very happy. It got wet 6 months in and quit working. They replaced it with a new one. I wish it had a water proof cover but other than that, perfect. I plan on adding another egg in the next year and it's able to upgrade as I do. My grill location is far from my router so I use an access point for a better signal. Doing that, all my wireless hook ups was easy but I haven't heard much bad about using Stoker's wifi. Stoker uses a draft door. With that, I don't have any settings for air flow. Basically plug it in and you are done.
    I hope this helps

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• cub22908
    cub22908 Posts: 8
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Is the stoker the best controller. Do you think it's worth the money. How reliable is it.
    As a new egghead I don't know much about eggs but have used a Stoker for 5 years. The Stoker will work great for you as will most other commercial controllers. The big advantage of the Stoker is being able to control more than one pit at the same time. I don't think any of the others will do that but maybe some will. All the components of the Stoker are high quality and problems are few. As for being the best, I haven't used my Stoker since building a Heatermeter which is a homemade unit you can find info on in the Weber forum.  It is by far the best single pit controller available and is half the cost of a commercial unit.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    cub22908 said:
    As a new egghead I don't know much about eggs but have used a Stoker for 5 years. The Stoker will work great for you as will most other commercial controllers. The big advantage of the Stoker is being able to control more than one pit at the same time. I don't think any of the others will do that but maybe some will. All the components of the Stoker are high quality and problems are few. As for being the best, I haven't used my Stoker since building a Heatermeter which is a homemade unit you can find info on in the Weber forum.  It is by far the best single pit controller available and is half the cost of a commercial unit.
    here is a link the the heatermeter that i made....

• GreenhawK
    Options
    2 years in, and mine has done great.  Although I burned up my grate temp probe today.  I  was switching from Griffin's Swamp Balls to chicken wings, and the grease from the sausage balls caused a flare up that burned the cord on the probe while I had my back turned.

My mistake.  Not the stoker.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • 30yearegger
    Options
    Thanks for the info I hope to get one for Christmas!
    Easley SC Go! Tigers