Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear

Options
Can someone please explain what reverse sear is and what it does two the meat.
Easley SC Go! Tigers

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    It's a technique that involves a slow roast, to cook evenly, and a sear, for color/flavor. Usually used on thick steaks, chops, or prime rib.

When I do it, I roast indirect at 250 until 10-15 degrees below my target temperature. Then, open up the vents and sear at 500+ direct heat for a couple minutes to get a nice crust.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I forgot to mention why it is so popular. It gives you a nice uniform doneness due to slowly warming the meat. So you can achieve wall to wall medium rare steaks with a thin layer of crust on the outside.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    Options
    There was a method a few years back that was developed by a guy named T-Rex. He would heat the daylights out of the egg and blast his steaks at high temp, then pull them off and cool the egg down to finish the cook. Everyone was doing them. Trouble was the egg takes forever to come  down. Somebody (that would be me) figured it was easier to cook the steak to just below the temp you wanted and then open the vents up and when the egg got super hot, throw the steaks back on for a finishing sear. I called it the X-ert method.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 30yearegger
    Options
    Thats what I thought it must mean. Thanks
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited November 2013
    Options
    There was a method a few years back that was developed by a guy named T-Rex. He would heat the daylights out of the egg and blast his steaks at high temp, then pull them off and cool the egg down to finish the cook. Everyone was doing them. Trouble was the egg takes forever to come  down. Somebody (that would be me) figured it was easier to cook the steak to just below the temp you wanted and then open the vents up and when the egg got super hot, throw the steaks back on for a finishing sear. I called it the X-ert method.
    you forgot to add the thought some had about the steak fibers relaxing during the time the egg was cooling down. The only times I did the T-Rex when it was the rage was to use two eggs at the same time, one hot and one cooler. I abandoned all that when I learned to hot tub and then just sear my steaks and I'm done!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Right with @RRP (as usual).

It's a tough pick for me between reverse sear, and hot tubbing.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Right with @RRP (as usual).

It's a tough pick for me between reverse sear, and hot tubbing.

LOL...I didn't bother to mention that I combine those tricks when I egg a thick prime rib! Yup...I hot tub it to assure the center will be good and warm before I do a reverse sear so as to tweak that costly chunk-o-cow to perfection!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I usually sear on the small and finish on the large.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .