Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken breasts raised direct question

Options
txav8r
txav8r Posts: 153
Ok, I have read the threads on cooking and in the cookbook.  I am having a really hard time believing that at 400 degrees F, that you cook a small chicken breast 40 minutes to get an IT of 160 (with an expected 5 degree rise when resting.  I have never gotten more than 10-15 minutes without over cooking.  Really?  The chicken is on and I feel I will have to look at 10-20--30-40 minutes at least to avoid overcooking...
Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    In 40 minutes you will have shoe leather.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    at 400 raised direct, a WHOLE spatch chicken is dont in 40 min. A boneless skinless breast is done much faster. 

I would do a breast gasket level direct. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited November 2013
    Options
    can't imagine that it would take more than about 20 minutes at that temp unless they are huge breasts or were barely defrosted. Checking at 10 - 15 minutes makes sense depending upon size.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options

They were done in 20 minutes and that was after a drop in temp when I put the pineapple and chicken.  I read no less than 5 posts saying they did boneless skinless breasts at 400 direct for up to 40 minutes.  Glad I was probing every 10... 

Meal was delicious btw!

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • TexianFool
    Options
    Hello...

I cooked boneless chicken breast a few weeks ago. 

35 minutes at 400 degrees!

Fully cooked, tender, and juicy.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    txav8r said:

They were done in 20 minutes and that was after a drop in temp when I put the pineapple and chicken.  I read no less than 5 posts saying they did boneless skinless breasts at 400 direct for up to 40 minutes.  Glad I was probing every 10... 

Meal was delicious btw!

I do boneless/skinless often and sometimes do them for 40 minutes, but indirect and around 350-375ish.  400 direct is always 8-10 minutes a side.  Glad they turned out great!! 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    How far raised up off the normal grill level are you all cooking at?