Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grill eggstender

BGEBrian
BGEBrian Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
where can I get this grill extender? I have been using firebricks, but the extender looks much easier.[p]please advise.[p]did the vidalia burgers tonite....yummy

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    d453cc70baed31e79f1a96eb047d6ec4.jpg
    <p />BGEBrian,[p]Check out Hearthside Distributors. They sell one for $17.01 and I use mine all the time. By the time you go out to Home Depot, buy another grid, stainless bolts, nuts, washers, you'll spend about the same, but IMHO, this works much better. I have one for both Larges. Each side flips up for access to the grid below.[p]Cheers,[p]GM
    [ul][li]Grid Extender[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    GrillMeister,[p]Just Curiouse. Can you flip the extender upside down and hang it from the main grid with some firebick on the extender and create a indrect method?
  • GrillMeister
    haywyre,[p]Yep! That or a pizza stone will work too. I also put a pizza stone on top of a grid extender to do bisquits and eggs.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    haywyre,
    I`m not real sure Ed understood your question...the grid extender of today is hinged in the center, either half can be lifted up when used in the normal position...therfore if you hung it usidedown under the main grid, the two halves would fold down on their own...I`m told the older extenders were not hinged and would work fine for your purpose, although I have never seen one....and maybe Ed has a way to work around this....HTH[p]Wess

• GrillMeister
    WessB,[p]Doh! Uuhh. Duct Tape.....Yeah, that's it. Duct tape will hold those sucker straight.[p]Dang, I do remember seeing a grid extender picture one time hanging underneath. That's what I get for answering a post before my second cup of Joe.[p]Good Catch Wess! I'd hate to be responsible for fire bricks falling in a fire. LOL

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    GrillMeister,
    No biggie....I almost never lift those sides up so one could maybe weld or secure them somehow to allow for upside down use....glad to see you survived your fest, we are prepping for a long weekend of boating, with any luck the weather will hold out for us.[p]Wess

• Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    extenderties.jpg
    <p />WessB,[p]I remember the same as you - that the older extenders were not hinged. I looked high and low before I had to buy one of the newer ones, hinged in the center. I used some small pieces of wire (kinda like a twist-tie effect, but much stronger stuff) to hold mine in place, and now I can hang it underneath. Works great, but honestly I just use the plate setter 99% of the time.[p]Here is the best pic I could find. You have to look close but hopefully you'll get the idea.[p]Cheers -[p]Mike[p]

• GrillMeister
    Boat.jpg
    <p />WessB,[p]We're keeping our fingers crossed for good weather too. Back to Lake Travis for the weekend after my son's swim meet. Egging, tubing, & waterskiing, & fishing. The water temp is 80.85 degrees.[p]The small 27 footer on the left is mine.[p]Have a good weekend![p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Charcoal Mike,[p]great idea! Does it still look like that now?
  • Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    GrilMeister,[p]Not exactly. :-) It's a much closer match to the one below now.
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Dang Ed...if yours is a 27 footer, what size is the beast to the right of it....man...
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • GrillMeister
    Squeeze,[p]I'd say she's about a 40 to 45 footer. The guy backed her in like he was backing into a parking spot at a store. Amazing control with twin screws.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • haywyre,[p]I do use the grid extender under a replacement Weber grid which is located under the standard grid in the cooker for my drip pan and this works well. I have both the older grid which was not hinged and the newer grid which is hinged. To make my newer grid ridged, I use a small piece of flat stock the is about 1/2" wide and 1/8" thick and about 14" long and place it across the grid and wire it in two places. A fellow can also just use a couple of pieces of wire across the grid to hold the flaps up as well. Couple of pieces of brazing rod will work or about anything that could lay across the grid. I don't have a picture of my hinged setup but will include a picture of my non hinged setup. The lower grid extender is used for my drip pan but I am not sure if you can see it.[p]Dave[p]15MVC-015E.jpg[p]