Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for my first Paella?

Options
After seeing so many of you guys make paella recently, I'm going to make chicken & andouille paella tonight before the game. I am kinda mixing the Naked Whiz's and Alton Browns techniques for this one. Do any of ya'll have any tips, or lessons learned that would help me out?

Thanks!
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

From my perspective, you have a great "how-to" with Naked Whiz's site.  Don't know about Alton Brown but given his skills I'm sure it will enhance the cook. My only comments are to follow Whiz's suggestions about building and controlling the fire/heat.  I have a LBGE and have never had any issues with temperatures.  And we have a tendency out of the gate to overload with meats etc-the rice is the star with this cook.  I have resorted to doing two cooks to serve a group, but my paella pan is only 12" diameter across the top.  The cook moves fairly quickly so make sure you have everything ready to go when you start.  Enjoy the eats!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    +1 on having everything ready ahead of time!

Also, it may be too late for you tonight but use Bomba rice if you have (or can get) it. It will makes a much better paella.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I went to the fresh market in town, but could not find Bomba. They did have some rice from Spain, Valenciano, that is labelled as paella rice. Hopefully this will turn out good. 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I went to the fresh market in town, but could not find Bomba. They did have some rice from Spain, Valenciano, that is labelled as paella rice. Hopefully this will turn out good. 
    Sounds like it should work!

Don't forget to post some pics.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Valencia is as good as bomba. Resist the temptation to pull it off early. The soccarat needs to caramelise.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Valencia is as good as bomba. Resist the temptation to pull it off early. The soccarat needs to caramelise.
    Just pay careful attention... it doesn't take long to go from soccarat to burned.
    Options
    Have a "Peyton Manning" type game plan. First time goes quick.... That's what vi told me
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    Can't overstate how important the Bomba rice or paella pan are. If you substitute either, you won't have a chance. Also, don't cut the cook short: make sure all liquid is completely absorbed by the Bomba and you give it time to form the soccorat on the bottom of the pan. Alton is a great technical guide for virtually every form of cooking. Wish he'd crank up a ceramic cooker show.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options

I have to disagree with Bomba = Valencia. But certainly Valencia > Risotto if you can't find Bomba.