Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best pork cut to use?

Options
If I want to make shredded BBQ pork for sandwiches, is it better to use a pork butt or a pork shoulder?

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    either way you can't go wrong !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Same thing. Shoulder is comprised of the butt and the picnic. If you are thinking butt comes from the hind that is not the case. It doesn't really make sense butt that is how it is. :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    Options

I guess I am the butt of this joke as I ASSumed that the butt was from the hindquarters of the animal.

How long (hours per lb) does a butt/shoulder take at 225-250?  What temp do you cook to?  Do you wrap halfway through?

• Little Steven
    Options
    I think most people make that ASSumption. The general rule of thumb is indirect, 250* (dome temp) is 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound on a single butt. You really have to cook to temperature or if you have a bone-in butt (no joke) cook until the bone comes out with no resistance.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I cook by Pork Butt at 225 pit temp until the Butt reaches 190 degrees 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I don't wrap but, you should allow time for FTC after you pull it off the Egg. At that point it is wrapped in foil and then put in a cooler padded with towels. You can keep it FTC'd for 4-5 hours if necessary.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Its a very forgiving cut. I only foil when I cook at higher heats like 350 cause I can see the bark starting to over cook. I would shoot for a median temp around 300 that will speed up your cook to an hour a pound or less and you can't tell the difference. Cook to at least 200 internal and check several places. Below 200 and it won't pull as easy. Let it rest at least a half hour after before you pull.