Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No offense!

Options
What is it with the cheap plastic handle and side tray?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It should be offensive! BGE keeps jacking up the price of their grills and adding plastic alternatives for the answers. Wood was not the best answer prior, but it showed that Big Green Egg had some quality features where other grills took the easier and cheaper route with plastic. I can see BGE understanding how plastic might hold up longer in certain weather conditions but don't take away the other 90% of peoples preference of wood. The $300 cheaper large ceramic competitor grill (includes nest) still comes with bamboo shelves and a stainless steel handle. I personally wouldn't trade my eggs away for any other grill but might be a different story for others who only see plastic features when shopping around.

The new Big Green Egg is like owning a 2013 Ferrari 458 with 1986 Pontiac Fiero options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • windsurfer
    Options
    It's like buying a Ferrari with cloth or vinyl seat on it. Performance is good but what with the cheesy look?
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I have the wood handle and the composite side trays - I am not sure if the trays are the plastic ones that you are referring to - they are speckled.  I like the trays because I am a slob and am always dripping things on them.  I just hit them with some soft scrub from time to time and they are as good as new.  Maybe some day I will get a table, but I like being able to roll the egg around quickly in the nest.
    Milton, GA.