Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Tomato Soup - Eggtoberfest 2013

Options
For those who requested this recipe - and because I didn't do recipe cards - here's the recipe for the Roasted Tomato Soup.  A few notes:  1) I tripled the ingredients to serve at Eggtoberfest; 2) I used plum tomatoes; 3) I skipped the straining step; and 4) at home I simmer the soup on the stove top.

Roasted Tomato Soup

·         4 lb tomatoes, halved lengthwise

·         1 head of garlic, unpeeled; cut off top 1/3 of head

·         3 tablespoons olive oil

·         1/2 teaspoon salt

·         1/4 teaspoon black pepper

·         1 medium onion, finely chopped

·         1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled

·         2 teaspoons sugar

·         2 tablespoons unsalted butter

·         3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth

·         1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat the Egg to 350°; use a plate setter, legs up with the grid on top.

Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in 1 layer in a large shallow roasting pan and add garlic to pan. Drizzle tomatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes and garlic on the Egg for 1 hour; cool in pan on a rack.  Squeeze garlic out of the cloves.

Cook onion, oregano, and sugar in butter in a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, and stock and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. 

Purée soup using an immersion blender then force through a sieve into cleaned pot, discarding solids. Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste and simmer 2 minutes.

Divide soup among bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Recipe adapted from:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Tomato-Soup-with-Parmesan-Wafers-108481#ixzz2hto6wWz8

Comments